FORUMS: list search recent posts

Art of the Editor Move

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Montgomery
Art of the Editor Move
on Oct 14, 2009 at 7:58:30 pm

So the fiance is in the process of getting a company move, to which city is still up in the air. If only my company had a sister company, but no. For the first time in my life I am about to start a job search from long distance, as if its not hard enough getting a job within 20 miles as an editor. I am slightly at a loss at how to break down some doors when I cannot physically break down some doors without shelling out 300 bucks to do it (which it may come down to eventually). I am confident in using internet tools to do research and narrow in on the places I would like to work, but it is the next step after that which I have not figured out. I was hoping some of you could share experiences in moving for family and career, whether it be with or without a job waiting for you on the other side. Thanks so much in advance, the advice found here on the COW is always golden.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Art of the Editor Move
on Oct 17, 2009 at 3:34:00 pm

Mandy.com is your friend and so is productionhub and the job forums here at the COW.
I moved my family to five states in as many years at one point, just salary-climbin'. It was required as the bread winner of the family, starting at the bottom as we all do. With the birth of every new child, I simply had to have a five-figure raise. All of these jobs were found on Mandy.com or by cold-calling destinations of choice.
I use to interview at places I knew were not going to hire me at my salary requirement or current experience level just because I knew they'd remember me years later when it would be realistic for all parties involved. Such was the case with The Nashville Network. I applied as a director in '91 and cold-called em in '95 when I found out we were about to have our first bambino. I started a week later as a staff editor and moved from Dallas.
Her maket will have a local productin guide. Call every production facility and post house in it. Simply state your experience and why you are moving to their market. Your moving on your own dime will already be appealing to them (I have always had to have the employer spring for our move) and you'll get your foot in the door. Once ya do, don't stop doing homework on the hot spots in town.

Return to posts index

Glen Montgomery
Re: Art of the Editor Move
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:46:57 pm

Hey Grinner,
Thanks so much for the response, I knew you had done numerous moves in the past so I was hoping you would share some insight. The film commission websites for each of the cities have had great listing for post production companies in the region, so that helped with making an initial list. Where else might I find a production guide? I also found Linked-In quite useful to get company info and find out where the local freelancers used to do regular work. Will continue to check Mandy and the other job sites, but the big step is to get on the horn and do a little voice chatting. Thanks again for taking the time to give me your advice. Best wishes.

-Glen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]