FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editor questions

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
Editor questions
on Oct 12, 2009 at 2:54:50 pm

Hi guys, I may be taking on the job of cutting a short film for someone. He simply asked me to do it and I said yes, that's where I am so far.
What are some important questions I should ask regarding footage ect. I'll be cutting on my MacBook pro.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Editor questions
on Oct 12, 2009 at 3:39:09 pm

What format was it shot on? How much raw footage is there? Is there a target running time for the finished piece? and my favorite...
What's your budget?

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Oct 12, 2009 at 4:16:55 pm

...and what is the final delivery? Web, film, DVD?

Timeframe for delivery (first cut, final approval)

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:47:50 pm

thanks guy, very helpful indeed

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:46:03 am

I might add ...
Where's the script ?
How does the director see it ?
Do you have a workflow to delivery requirement in mind, and if so what is it?

Of course grinner is right on with the essentials
What's the schedule / deadline ?
What's the budget ?
and Ed with the crucial
What is the delivery requirement ?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Kai Cheong
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:13:40 pm

Are you expected to do the audio post as well [either within FCP, Soundtrack Pro or something else] - as well as the color grading? Do you think you could manage on all fronts?

How many previews are you to provide? How is that done? Do you need to burn and send out DVDs, or upload a .MOV or invite everyone over for a screening?

Who holds the final decision on making edit changes - the director, producer, EP, the director's mother? ;]

JUST to be sure - all the footage is coming in one format? Or is it all mixed up? Would you be required to capture from tapes [deck rental or possibly post house transfer costs]? Or is everything already captured for you? Even so, would you be required to transcode to a an editable-in-FCP format [eg. from P2 .MXF] - depending on how much footage there is, it could take massive computing hours.

Are there log sheets? [I took up a freelance TV editing gig once - only when I turned up was I informed that there wasn't any log sheet or script; in fact, I had to capture all the tapes as well... didn't figure to ask all these BEFORE I agreed on the project-basis rate]

Now that we got the nitty gritty out of the way...

Maybe you'd like to see if you could have a short chat and discussion with the director to just have a brief idea of what he envisions this film to be. Depending on your personal preference, you might or might not want to know too much before doing your 'editor's cut'.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:23:36 pm

[Kai Cheong] "Who holds the final decision on making edit changes - the director, producer, EP, the director's mother? ;]"

Kai nails it with this comment with the key being FINAL say, preferably coming to you from a single voice. Each of those parties, along with perhaps a couple of others, can give notes, but you will go crazy if you're the one in the middle trying to make sense of multiple, and sometimes conflicting directions.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
grinner hester
on Oct 13, 2009 at 9:33:26 pm

I use to just loove it back in the linear daze when the client's client would come in on a friday after a week's worth a post with a timing change in the 2nd minute of a one-hour show. It was usually a thumbprint. Something that would allow him to tell his wife how he produced a show. This is why I started using the dead dog technique in the mid 90s.
Still use it today.
I give em one obviousl thing to change in a show, tell em how much they rock then send em on their way feelin' all proud. Meanwhile, I've usually already dubbed the version without the dead dog.
lol
awesomeness.
As audio editor I use to work with at CMT had a dead pod on his mixer. He'dd let the producer hop back there and manually "tweek" themselves. Maaaan that was funny to watch em close their eyes and dial it in juuuust right.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 13, 2009 at 10:42:58 pm

[grinner hester] "An audio editor I use to work with at CMT had a dead pod on his mixer. He'd let the producer hop back there and manually "tweak" themselves. Maaaan that was funny to watch em close their eyes and dial it in juuuust right."

Absolutely Hilarious!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:18:37 pm

I use a smoke filter. It goes like this: Run through a bunch of menus really fast--too fast to follow--and then say "Time to render." I'd get a cup of coffee--offering of course one to the client, while the video rendered. Do you want cream and sugar with that? I'll be right back. Coffee was in another room. Upon returning: Here's the coffee. Is it strong enough? Then hit play back. How's that look?

"Oh man that's perfect."

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:37:41 am

We call that the hairy armpit trick.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:14:33 pm

That's a great post, Kai!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:43:37 am

I would have to agree with those that advocate asking lots of questions.

I just got done working on a low budget feature, that the original editor got in over their head because they didn't ask enough questions, and just jumped in, only to have it all go horribly wrong.

There is a growing trend for low budget producers scrimping on script asst, logging, and other nice things like that, so they can spend that money somewhere else in the budget. and then hoping they can hook someone into putting in an 'editing bid', only to find out later that 'editing', means the entire post work flow, and a lot of the normal pre- production work had gone undone.

So be wary of all jobs that you are not included in the original creative team, and that think of editing as a last minute hurdle they just need to get over as quick and cheap as possible. Yes, ask lots and lots of questions.
And get it in writing.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:03:47 pm

the dead dog can bite back, though.

A friend did just that - dropped in a shot he knew was awful, just so he could remove it when the producer spotted it.

Only problem was the producer loved it, and my friend was ordered to remove (in his opinion) one of the best cuts in the show.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]