FORUMS: list search recent posts

convert SD to HD? "up-rez?"

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Andren
convert SD to HD? "up-rez?"
on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:40:44 pm

Is it possible to take standard def footage, for example mini-dv or SVHS, and "convert" it to HD?

I've heard the phrase "up-rezzing" and was wondering if this is what it refers to. If not, what does "up-rezzing" mean?

And when I read that a video or program was "finished in HD", does that mean it was standard def footage to begin with? If not, what does the process of "finishing in HD" entail?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: convert SD to HD? "up-rez?"
on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:28:50 pm

[Bob] Is it possible to take standard def footage, for example mini-dv or SVHS, and "convert" it to HD?

Sure, but it won't look great like footage originally shot in HD.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Bob Andren
on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:34:44 pm

How is it done?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:38:42 pm

[Bob Andren] "How is it done?"

Hardware...Terranex, Snell Wilcox...Kona 3...MXO 2.

Software...Decklink Extreme (using FCP to scale), Compressor, Instant HD.

Hardware is better...by far.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:37:43 pm

Up-Convert...Up-Rezzing (upping the RESOLUTION) means the same thing. Converting something with lower resolution to higher resolution. Will this suddenly make the lower res SD stuff suddenly great quality HD? HELL NO! Even with hardware converters like the Terranex and Snell Wilcox...or Kona 3...it will still be SD. It won't be sharper, clearer, cleaner. Sure, you "finished in HD," but the footage was still SD and all you did is make it bigger. Not better by any stretch of the imagination.

The only real reason to finish in HD is if you SHOOT in HD, and then you can up-convert any SD masters or b-roll to match. Match size wise, not quality. Don't have any preconceptions that your footage will look any better in HD. It won't.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:58:04 pm

[Shane] Don't have any preconceptions that your footage will look any better in HD. It won't.

Very true.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Bob Andren
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:14:48 am

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:32:07 pm

If you need to use SD footage in an HD program, it will look less bad in a 720 vs 1080 project, because it is being magnified less.
An alternative is to display the SD material in a PIP box integrated into your program design in such a way that it looks intentional, without calling attention to the fact that it is SD material. For all your viewer knows it is HD material but you chose to display it this way to get your message across.

You can't make something out of nothing.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:33:39 pm

[Shane Ross] "Up-Convert...Up-Rezzing (upping the RESOLUTION) means the same thing. Converting something with lower resolution to higher resolution. Will this suddenly make the lower res SD stuff suddenly great quality HD? HELL NO!"

One of the biggest obstacles to "up-rezzing" most SD to HD is that interlaced fields just upscale clumsily. Progressive footage actually upscales better, relatively...

Keep in mind that any "color under" SD format like SVHS or 3/4 Umatic will suffer some color smear as well...

Old nasty SD footage is best used when you're trying to convey that "these archive shots are from old, nasty SD footage..."

...works perfectly well for that.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]