FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Art of the Pouring Sand Effect

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Huubs
The Art of the Pouring Sand Effect
on Aug 18, 2009 at 8:01:00 pm

So I shot a wedding and they did this sand pouring thing into a jar. I need something to cover a space of about 10 seconds where I have no usable shot. Each sand represents a person and they have 4 different colors (kids included). I want to create a shot where I pour the red sand past the camera, then the blue, then each other color, but blend them into a final sequence where the sand changes color as each color is exlpained. Would I be better off shooting this with a white background or a dark background?

"Life's a pitch and then you buy."
-Billy Mays

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: The Art of the Pouring Sand Effect
on Aug 19, 2009 at 12:21:40 am

Depends on the vibe of the peace. White is pure and perky and black is either sopphisticated, mysterious or bold. Sounds like an organic earth tone background would be better for this. You can mask in the color changes, pouring just white sand for the raw shot.

Return to posts index

Jay Huubs
on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:03:05 pm

So you're suggesting to shoot all white sand, then change the color of the sand using editing software? I'm not sure if I have the juice to do that. I am just using FCE. How would you change the sand without changing the background?

"Life's a pitch and then you buy."
-Billy Mays

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:08:02 pm

Garbage mask. Just create a new layer, make it the color ya want and animate a mask. You'll have more control over this in AE. Full control, as a matter of fact. You can then do it to the beat of music or as dialog changes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]