FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the SD video production market dead?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
billy earle
Is the SD video production market dead?
on Aug 6, 2009 at 4:19:46 pm

Is there a market left for Standard Definition video production?

I ask because I was looking over a price list from a local rental house and happened to notice there were no SD cams listed.

It never really occurred to me that that market may be dry. Anyone have thoughts?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Is the SD video production market dead?
on Aug 6, 2009 at 5:52:04 pm

Some of our clients don't have a Blue-Ray player and don't want it in that format. However, well shoot it in HD and cut it in HD and then compress it to SD. If they decide they want it in HD later on down the road no problem.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:07:07 pm

In my neck of the woods, HD is still pretty rare, if not nonexistent. Though, it doesn't surprise me that a rental house would have mostly HD cameras... you can always rent HD cameras to do SD, but not vice versa.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:54:35 pm

All I can tell ya is I make six figures a year making SD video. I make nothing making HD.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Aug 7, 2009 at 8:34:50 am

Here in the UK. SD is still very much alive.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:58:29 pm

There is a wide world of video users who may *never* need HD, at least, not for the forseeable future.

I understand the argument that shooting everything in HD is "future-proofing" it. I get it, really, I do. That said, your time and costs to originate and post in HD and then downconvert are a bit higher, and in tight budget times, many are quite happy with lower-cost SD production. Also, not everything is "HD-Worthy", it may not HAVE a long enough planned shelf life to benefit from having been mastered in HD and downconverted, to wait for a specific audience to catch up to the latest display technology. Horses for courses.

If we are really worried about future-proofing, shouldn't we all be shooting and posting in 3-D now? :-)

Let's be clear that SD doesn't suddenly and automatically mean "looks like (redacted)". Until fairly recently, technologically speaking, we were ALL pretty much doing just SD work, and it was winning awards and fame. Just because we suddenly have access to a higher resolution doesn't instantly negate ALL uses of SD.

Return to posts index

Beau Brotherton
on Aug 7, 2009 at 5:02:22 pm

But is there an extra cost when it comes to producing HD verses SD? I mean, if you're cutting with FCP, editing HD footage is a breeze.

I know that there is more hard drive space and actually purchasing the HD cameras or renting them. But the quality of the end product is so much greater, even if you are just shooting HD and delivering in SD

Beau Brotherton
Reel Memories Wedding Films
http://www.reelmemories.ws
FCP6, HVX200

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Aug 7, 2009 at 7:23:22 pm

doesn't matter what your cutting with, pretty much all NLE's suport HD these days. But SD is very much alive, especially in non-broadcast stuff. Most people don't have a way to play hd, but everyone has a DVD player.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:39:25 pm

We shoot HD, we edit HD, we output HD. But the show still only airs in SD. As mentioned, we are delivering HD masters as a form of FUTURE-PROOFING. Actually, now some of my shows are airing in HD. But HD on TV is still a rare thing. ONly a handful of shows fill my HDTV screen.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 8, 2009 at 2:39:19 pm

lol
How I wish that were true. I purchased my Adrenaline suite because Avid advertised it as HDV native. It still was not when they killed it. Apps like Premiere beat em to the punch bigtime. It's not hard to see what NLES/companies will be around in years to come and which one will not.

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Aug 9, 2009 at 12:00:21 am

I think its getting there fast. And let's first make the distinction between HD production and SD delivery. SD delivery will be around for years, just like TV stations here in Sacramento still want their spots delivered on Beta SP. And most of my clients deliverables are SD-DVDs.

That being said, it was a no-brainer for me to go HD,using FCP ($1,000!) and a Sony EX-1 ($6,000) with SDHC cards for recording ($40/hr, if you archive them, and $0 if you don't). No more tape, or decks, or transport disasters, or head-lapping, or just wear-and-tear... Get behind me!!

But really, in this transitional phase, it comes down to this: The higher quality you shoot, the better the end product looks, no exceptions, no matter what format you deliver on. If that weren't true, then TV movie-of the-week producers wouldn't have been shooting 35mm film for over 40 years. Why then, wouldn't you want to stand out over SD producers, and get that edge wherever you can?

"Future-proofing" is definitely a valid point, but "Present-ass-kicking" will put more money in your pocket and raise your rep a lot quicker...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:31:24 am

The answer to your question is, "What does your customer need?"
and "Who are your customers?"

Everything we deliver is SD, either DVD, CD-ROM or Flash Video.
It is still a pretty low bandwidth world. We may have Cable or DSL at home and the office with great bandwidth, but corporate networks vary from low bandwidth with Flash player 9 to much better. You need to sell to the lowest common denominator in your marketplace.

If you make national TV commercials, you have a much different paradigm than if you do corporate video. And quite honestly, there is a lot of corporate video work out there.

We shoot about 80% HDV. The main reason we use the HDV camera so much is because it is a much better camera, but the better image quality is a nice bonus. We don't always edit in HDV, especially when mixing with SD sources. Our 20+ year video library is all on DVCPRO 25.

We receive about 200 videos a year produced by others, and about 199 of them this year were SD DVD or DVCAM.

SD is dead...long live SD.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:55:32 am

I shoot everything in HD 16x9, and deliver in 16x9 SD DVD. SD is very much alive. 4x3 is whats dead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]