FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Raid 0 Scratch disk?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas MaCoy
A Raid 0 Scratch disk?
on Aug 4, 2009 at 7:41:57 pm

It seems like this type of question has probably come up before, but searching the forums didn't bring up any hits, so if it has been done, please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction. If not though, here's the quandary. Has anyone had any experience using RAID 0 as a media/scratch disk, and if so, what kind of performance difference do you see? I'm contemplating trying this myself, and I'm wondering if anyone who's been there can speak as to whether it's worth the time and hassle.
By scratch disk of course, I mean only captured media and renders would reside there; given 0's less stable nature, project files would have to reside on another safer disk, so hopefully if the RAID fails, I'm just looking at a night of recapturing media. From building my own systems I know the biggest speed bottleneck is the hard drive though, so it would seem like a more worthwhile upgrade than the CPU. But would it be a typical small 3-5% speed gain, or something really noticeable? Generally I'm looking at overall system responsiveness, project load times, Premiere's Audio Conforming, and Flash/MPEG2 rendering. Any thoughts appreciated, and thanks for taking the time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]