FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many of your are Certified AVID or FCP

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Grote, Jr.
How many of your are Certified AVID or FCP
on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:09:47 pm

Good day all,

I'm just trying to get a gauge on how many of you editors out there are certified and has it helped in getting you a job?

The reason I ask is that I replied to a job that wanted the person to have at least 8 years experience and be certified in either AVID or FCP. Well, I'm not certified, but I have been working with AVID since 1993 and FCP since 2000. I always feel that any classes or certification good, but is it necessary for an editing job?

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: How many of your are Certified AVID or FCP
on Aug 4, 2009 at 7:31:07 pm

Certifications are for engineeers, not editors. Your reel is what will get you gigs, not a piece of paper of any kind.

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
on Aug 4, 2009 at 7:32:41 pm

I don't have either certification, will never get either and can proficiently use both programs.

Why would someone ask for 8 years of experience and think that in that time, having certification would matter. If you cannot cut with Avid or FCP after 8 years, who cares if you are certified.

So why are they asking for it? Are they an inexperienced setup who thinks that this is what is required of a good editor?

I guess the solution would be to address the lack of the certifications in you cover letter and explain tat your years of experience outweigh any additional information you could possibly learn in one of those certification classes. Let's face it, if you've been using Avid professional (and consistently) since 1993, you might as well go teach the Avid certification.

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Aug 4, 2009 at 8:43:22 pm

I'm not certified. But it sounds to me like if it's not too much trouble or cost, then it might be worth it. We can all bark back and talk about how pointless it is (maybe it is) but if employers are asking for it, then why not add it to your arsenal. Hell, you might even learn something. If it literally comes down to "At this point in time for this specific job I won't be able to work with out it" then do it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 5, 2009 at 12:29:44 am

The only time I ever see someone demanding "certification" it's on Craigs List - typically as part of a Job Offer Post that requires not only "certification" but someone willing to provide all the professional equipment required, plus uncompensated out of state travel, planetary class creative skills, and a decade or so of top level experience - all in exchange for $100 a day. (and CREDIT of course!)

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Aug 5, 2009 at 2:30:11 pm

Thank you for all your responses!!! Bill is correct, this was a Craigslist posting.

I've been an AVID editor for over 16 years and it amazes me how many people say they have taken AVID training, but have no clue or experience editing what so ever. I got burned a couple of times in the late 90's when I had to hire some freelancers to pick up some of the overflow work. Needless to say, I would up finishing half the sessions, because they were clueless other than pushing buttons and no client skills.

I would imagine that we have all encountered people like this and with how cheap it is to buy a system they are here to stay. But I have a saying that maybe a little brash, "You can hire me now and pay once or go cheap and pay twice." Funny thing is it has happened many times over and the last time it happened, the client lost most of his footage over the person he hired incompetence. Cost him more in the long run. Oh well.

That is why you hire a professional!!!

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Aug 5, 2009 at 9:41:23 pm

I'm level 1 certified in FCP. I didn't take the class. My employer paid the testing cost. At the time I had roughly 6 years FCP experience. When I went to take the test, everyone else there had taken the class together. I was the 1st one done and passed with 95%. I didn't stay around to see how those who had taken the class finished.

With your experience, I'm sure you'd have no trouble passing the tests.

Return to posts index

Beau Brotherton
on Aug 7, 2009 at 5:04:52 pm

I once asked a production company owner what they thought about being certified in FCP. He said that if an editor told him that he was certified, he probably wouldn't hire them because he was certified. The owner said that it would be a sign that the editor was just a button pusher with out any skill.

Beau Brotherton
Reel Memories Wedding Films
http://www.reelmemories.ws
FCP6, HVX200

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:37:13 pm

I took the Avid Certification...well, I took a 3 day Avid Bootcamp and received certification that I took that class. I used that certification only to get jobs as an Assistant Editor. That is the job that required the technical know-how of Avid. SO when an employer asked "do you know the Avid?" I was able to say "Yup, I took the Bootcamp, and have been using it for 3 years." I had been using it BEFORE the bootcamp, but I learned a lot more stuff in taking that class.

But as an editor...that certification is meaningless. Reputation and reel...that's what counts.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 8, 2009 at 2:41:26 pm

I subscribe to this. When hiring freelancers, the certified engineer types are the ones I don't waste time interviewing. I need artists and story-tellers. I do my own maintenence.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:05:33 am

I agree with all the 'don't need certification' opinions. That certificate doesn't magically make you an editor.

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Aug 17, 2009 at 10:11:08 am

I'm glad that I see that the majority feels the way I do and has the passion to respond and be heard. I always feel that any education is good education and if you are a fairly competent editor you know this already, but as we all know there are a lot of people that can punch the buttons, but that doesn't make them an editor. Worse yet is that some people hiring for editing jobs don't have any idea what it takes to be an editor other then a piece of paper. Or that you should know AVID, FCP, After Effects, Cinema 4D, Photoshop, write, produce and direct and by the way, we can only pay you as if you were just leaving college.

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]