FORUMS: list search recent posts

Art of the Lack of Projects

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Huubs
Art of the Lack of Projects
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:13:48 pm

If I so may inquire, what do you do when you don't have any projects in the hopper? I find it very easy to create and be inspired to create when I have an actual project to do. And that is when I actually teach myself how to come up with new ideas, to make each projcet better than the last. I find it hard to come up with new things when I don't have something to work on. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you give yourself "fake projects" to work on?

"Life's a pitch and then you buy."
-Billy Mays

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Art of the Lack of Projects
on Jul 22, 2009 at 6:34:12 pm

I check to see if I'm dead, because this never happens. :-)

Seriously, if you are idle, find something new to learn or train on. make up a spec spot for a real or imagined product, and work really hard on it.

Or take a break from editing and feed your head with a research trip to a museum or a stage play, a browse thru a book store or library in a section you never usually visit, take public transit on a line you never use, go play some musical instrument or learn to sing a song, or do some kind of activity that flexes mental and/or physical muscles you're not used to using.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jul 23, 2009 at 2:58:25 pm

Yep, I just try to find something new to learn. In fact, I taught myself After Effects last summer when things were slow at work; this year I've worked on 3D modeling when there's no projects coming up.

Having a guitar around to pick up and jam doesn't hurt either, if you're so inclined.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:49:09 pm

I get involved with microbudget movie making: producing, writing, etc.

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Jul 26, 2009 at 3:13:12 pm

I'm with Mark on the 'things to do when you're not working on a project' - I like to break out of the filmmaking/editing/media sphere & go do/see some something different.

Personally, I find that the inspiration I get from observing random things that go on out there works itself in on my next projects. Some sort of interdisciplinary learning going on there.

Since I'm not exactly musically-inclined, I play Tap Tap Revenge on my iPhone to develop my rhythm. Uh-huh :P

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:04:28 pm

simeple answer to your first question.. throw a project in the hopper.
Part of why you avoid creative burn out is because you love it so much. The reason you love it is because you'd do it it on or off the clock. Well, the clock's off. You can go wild.
enjoy.

I shot this last weekend with my sons:

It's not a pilot. It in no way was shot with the thoughts of it yielding some sort of monitary profit. My boys and I simply had a blast, old school-style with the camera for an evening. Editing this was almost as enjoyable as the tick-gettin' part.

We work like the dickens w hen booked, Lord knows. There is an art to learning how to take a day off when a day off shows up. They key, as with all arts, is to practice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]