FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing An Interview w/o B-roll

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Williams
Editing An Interview w/o B-roll
on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:46:23 pm

I am in the process of editing a video where the interviews need to be editing for time, but I have no b-roll to cover those edits. My only solution so far has been to do a quick (:05) dissolve.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Editing An Interview w/o B-roll
on Jun 17, 2009 at 4:01:13 pm

I'll sometimes use a quick dip to white transition (it can be a little less weird than a plain dissolve over a jump cut). You could also use a simulated whip pan or something else cheesy perhaps, depending on the mood of the piece.

Of course, this is why it's always a good idea to change up your framing when you get a chance during an interview, so you'll have some way to edit it together later.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:35:55 pm

Jump cut!

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:03:44 pm

I agree, dips to black/white are good, and the jump cut is not nearly as taboo as it has been stigmatized to be. You can always scale in 5-10% on the shot so the composition between edits is slightly adjusted (add a tiny bit of sharpening if you scale in).

What is the interview about? Just 'cause you didn't get cutaways in the interview environment, doesn't mean you're empty-handed. The internet is loaded with imagery! There's plenty of stock image sites out there.

Return to posts index

Kevin Williams
on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:46:48 pm

Thanks guys for the great responses! I have another edit session tomorrow with the client and I will definitely try each of these suggestions in order to 'get the right feel'.

The interviews (or better yet, testimonies) are edited in a way to 'pull the heart-strings' (slow piano in background). The video details a program that tries to reach kids before they end up in jail. It's been very successful, but is in need of financial support. The video is due Friday for the boards feedback!

Thanks again & I will try and report back on the results.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:08:53 pm

In that case, with the whole moody, dark, slow-paced serious feel going on, a slow dip to black may be more appropriate. You could always time-stretch the last bit of each section to emphasize their facial expression/emotion, fade to black, and then back up to the next section of interview. It may work.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 17, 2009 at 11:31:11 pm

You can also do wipes, or full-screen pushes, depends on how many times you need to do it, too many gets annoying. You need to spank your cameraman for not changing the camera framing between responses, this is just basic good practice, unless you're shooting a deposition, and it takes literally a second to zoom in or out and re-frame the shot, plenty of times you can do this while someone is taking a deep breath or swallowing or otherwise pausing, (...or while the question off-camera is being asked, is when I do it.)

But maybe you can fake it: This works best if you shot in HD but the final product is SD: you can zoom in and re-frame the wider shots to tighter ones, to imitate what the cameraman was supposed to have done.

I have also been able to do this, to a much more limited extent, with 4x3 SD footage, but sometimes, all you need to change is a few percent with the fake zoom to result in a shot that cuts well without looking like a jump cut. Some left-right re-poisitioning on the input side may also help this effect.

With SD footage you generally can't (IMO) push in more than 10 or 15% without getting too many artifacts, but then again, once you make the cut, you can quickly keyframe a very subtle zoom back out to the full-rez original framing, and it all looks more or less intentional.

Another simple fix is to freeze-frame the outgoing clip or ramp it into slo-mo for one second, with the audio ducked down, and then use that as a base to dissolve a new clip in over it.

Sometimes, if the jump cut is really subtle, you might try a morph transition. There's one in Apple Motion.

Another way to go with this is to layer the shots in boxes, the new one deliberately smaller, and do a fade transition to bring that box in, start fadign out the old full-frame background, then a cut or dissolve to full-frame of the new clip where applicable. A little audio work laying the audio fades will help, if you lead the incoming shot audio.

A lot of the choices depend on the exact nature of the footage and what you're trying to communicate. You should try to experiment and see what you come up with.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:11:02 am

Flashes can work. Two frames of white. Or flash whatever color the background is. Could also throw in a subtle sound effect like a pop, fizz or deep-whoosh to give it a bit more oomph on the edit.

If it's HD, cut in to a close up of their eyes/mouth on specific words to add emphasis. To disguise the change in video quality, color=correct the zoom in; either b&w or some kind of blown out effect.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jun 19, 2009 at 12:09:15 am

Flip the image horiz so the interviewee is facing the opposite direction.
Create a "2nd cam" shots by videotaping a few seconds of the prior clip on a monitor.
Do long slow dissolves (5+ seconds) between the critical audio.
I do like the long fade out to black while person is speaking.
Freeze an appropriate expression for a few seconds, then cut.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Jul 30, 2009 at 9:08:52 pm

Or, you can insert some kind of bumper - ten frames of static (in picture as well as sound), flyover logo or something in that area.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]