FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual monitors or one big widescreen for editing?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah McDowell
Dual monitors or one big widescreen for editing?
on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:49:51 pm

Well, one of my dual 19" Samsungs just died on me at work, so I'm in the market for something different.

Since large widescreens have become so available lately, I'm thinking about getting one big (24" to 30" range) monitor instead of another pair.

Does anyone have any opinions on a big single monitor over a dual monitor setup? I'm working in Premiere CS3 50% of the time and either After Effects or Photoshop the rest of the time, so the ability to work on large graphics without being divided on two screens might be nice?

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
Re: Dual monitors or one big widescreen for editing?
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:18:24 pm

For you one monitor would probably be fine. The only time i take advantage of my dual screens is in apple color... But it might be nice to have photoshop on one screen and your email on the other. If it is for work and they are paying for it just get two 24" inchers :)

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:06:52 pm

Hah, two 24" screens would make my desk seem a bit cramped I think, though I did consider it.

Right now I'm looking at the Dell Ultrasharps (probably 24" or 27") or the HP LP2475w (24"). I think the size of a 27" would be nice, but they're the same resolution as the 24's so it's just the same pixels bigger, right?

Anybody have any recommendations?

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:38:14 pm

Whoa...
As I typed my last message, my dead 2nd monitor arose from the dead I suppose; it now seems to come off and on at will, and I checked all cables and connections so that's not the problem. Anybody ever have this happen before?

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:59:09 am

At one time I used a single 30" Cinema Display and now I use 2- 24" Cinema displays and I am much happier with the dual set up rather than the single large monitor.

But I think it is a personal preference that you are just going to have to try on for your self.

Good Luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska

Everyone has a story to tell.
http://www.FrostLineProductions.com

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:34:55 am

Well, I did in fact end up getting a pair of 23 inchers (high-end HPs that I believe use the same LCD panels as the Apple Cinemas). They haven't shipped yet but I think they'll do.

I kinda wanted to try the one big monitor approach, but it's amazing how two pro 23" displays are half the price of one 30".

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 22, 2009 at 6:58:35 pm

Big dual Apple flatscreens here, and I love it. I span my timeline across both, along the bottom, and I find that I need to scroll it less this way. Plus, I tear off a lot of drop-downs and scopes and what-have-you to put on the second monitor, as well as various folders and stuff, and when I'm working in HD that becomes my HD monitor as well.

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Jun 24, 2009 at 4:56:49 pm

I'm on 2 x 24" Dell 2408s now - working mostly in FCP and some Photoshop.

Liking the dual monitors setup as I can reference scripts and notes on one monitor [with my mailbox or Word open], while making changes on my FCP on the other.

I remember reading somewhere that having multiple monitors do have a positive impact on productivity... and the visual example given was of, I think, Al Gore's office.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]