FORUMS: list search recent posts

Guy Ritchie style editing

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Lunn
Guy Ritchie style editing
on May 25, 2009 at 11:38:16 pm

I love Guy Ritchie's style of editing (or edit-directing) and wonder why there isn't more of it out there? I do not recall seeing another film with the same maximal visual post-manipulation style.

Does anyone know of any movies or music videos out there with the same style? Or if there is an editor or two that consistently dabbles in this style? Please let me know.

I would love to discuss this. Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Guy Ritchie style editing
on May 27, 2009 at 12:34:27 am

I'm sure Guy's editors Niven Howie, Jon Harris, et al would LOVE to hear you call it "the GUY RITCHIE style..."

LOL

I know what you mean. Well, his is pretty unique. People try to imitate it, but they are all flash and no substance. CRANK was one where I noticed they tried that a little.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Arthur Lunn
on May 27, 2009 at 12:58:21 am

Well that's the thing- they are individual editors, but the style evolves (somewhat consistently) in each of Guy Ritchie's film, so it is rightfully his, even if we have to call it edit-directing. Also there are in-camera effects that we cannot ignore, and the editors are not responsible for that.

I wonder why there are not more imitators, is it because of the degree of difficulty in capturing that style? Does one have to have a feel for it?

Thanks..

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on May 27, 2009 at 1:20:04 am

You should check out the films of Tony Scott. He's the master of this fancy stuff. Domino and Man on Fire are like watching a thunderstorm of cuts and SFX. Great fun for the popcorn crowd, usually looked down upon by the film snobs.

It's all related to the cinematography, of course. A high shutter speed, hand held shooting style showing an action-packed scene lends itself to more stylized cuts. Check out Hot Fuzz and BBC's Top Gear for ultimate whiz-bang pazazz.

People often say "great editing" when I incorporate these things, but that's usually because it's the only time you can "see" the editing. No one ever says "great editing" when they laugh or feel anxious. Not fair!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 27, 2009 at 1:28:21 am

One needs to SHOOT that style in order to edit it. So THAT resides directly on Guy's shoulders. His style.

Shane

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2009 at 1:30:18 pm

Massive speed-ramping is a style now?:-)

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

Arthur Lunn
on May 27, 2009 at 7:47:49 pm

It still remains that there are no clear-cut imitators. Is it because his style is hard to imitate? What are the factors we are looking at? Is it a case of someone who really has carved his own niche?

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on May 27, 2009 at 11:07:47 pm

i would say it's because no one wants too. there aren't that many movies made in this genre, the ones im thinking of right now are Ocean's 11,12,13. I really think this is his niche, i saw a bmw commercial he did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dYv_gKTA8) and it is exactly his style. He is truly talented, writing and directing all of his movies.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on May 28, 2009 at 12:57:03 am

All these films came after Lock, Stock so they could be said to have "imitated" his style.

Sexy Beast
Gangster No. 1
Played

You can also see stylistic similarities in many movies and TV; Oceans, The Dark Knight, 24...

But what is a style anyway? Separate elements that make up a whole? A genre? Could he be said to have started a movement like French New Wave? I doubt it; on the surface, he's obviously influenced by Scorsese and Tarantino so can he really lay claim to a style or genre himself?

What if it there were a romantic comedy done in his style? Would you be able to say it looks like a Guy Ritchie movie? Maybe, maybe not.

It's difficult because we recognize his style on the surface but when you begin to analyze and quantify the elements that make up his movies what do you actually get? Not much that's new.

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on May 28, 2009 at 6:18:57 am

i would love to see richie do a rom com. haha.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on May 28, 2009 at 3:27:33 pm

[Andrew Evans] "i would love to see richie do a rom com. haha.
"

it's called "Swept Away" and it was a remake starring his then wife, Madonna.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on May 28, 2009 at 5:42:27 pm

Looking forward to Sherlock Holmes in post-production right now...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 28, 2009 at 5:46:12 pm

[Jason Diebler] "Looking forward to Sherlock Holmes in post-production right now..."

I am not. That looks horrid.

these are but opinions...

Shane

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on May 28, 2009 at 7:09:13 pm

is it good?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jun 3, 2009 at 4:56:54 pm

its so-so. I went through a big Guy Ritchie phase just before snatch came out. I picked up Swept Away on DVD for 5 bucks without having seen it.

It wasn't the same style as his other movies. Not bad, but just watching it there was nothing that stood out to make you say "this is a Guy Ritchie film"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]