FORUMS: list search recent posts

EditQuette

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Schirer
EditQuette
on May 15, 2009 at 7:24:40 pm

Saw this presentation a couple weekends ago and it made my freakin day.
synopsis: As a client and creative, have you ever wondered what you should and shouldn’t do in an edit to keep peace with your editor? Joy gives us the do’s and don’ts of Edit Suite Etiquette (EditQuette).
http://artandcopyclub.com/2009/05/joy-moeller-%E2%80%93-editquette/

@TrustTheDust

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: EditQuette
on May 15, 2009 at 9:28:00 pm

We all have some version of these rules. Some of mine:

Rule 1: The open tin of Altoids on the desk is more than just courtesy - if it's actually open, it's a subtle hint. If you don't get the hint, I will make a deal out of popping one every five minutes myself until you get the hint. Mister coffeepicklestobaccoandlutefisk breath. And leave the Old Spice or perfumes at home; we're working in a ten foot by nine foot box, it's cologne, not a marinade.

Rule 2: If you ask for yet another preview and then don't bother watching it, because you're texting or phoning, go take a break and let me get the work done because you're holding us up.

Rule 3: I only try out font colors that are able to be perceived within the limits of human vision and within the gamut warnings on my console. I don't care how cool it looked under UV light at your rave party last night, if it's not FCC and SMPTE legal.

She hates finger-snappers, I hate people that say "woof!" Or "BAM!" Or tell me really obvious cues like "Start the in point where he starts talking". Hmm, daring, but What the hey, let's try it.

Rule 4: I charge more to put in shots that don't yet actually exist.

Rule 5: A slate carries basic esential data. It is not meant to be ten pages of scrolling star wars style crawls, and trust me, the people that use the tape have the capability to pause and freeze-frame it so we don't really need five minutes of scrolling text slate introing four minutes of the video.

Rule 6: I am sitting there waiting for a render or a dub to complete. Watch the progress bar with me. If I was able to do something else at the same time, I would already be doing it. Be assured I am thinking of only you and your needs the whole time we're rendering.

Rule 7: I don't run out to buy you your lunches when you send me out to get my own. You know who you are.

Rule 8: I am aware when the sound is too loud, or I've just typed a typo; I WILL go back and get it in just another second. Really. But thanks for jumping right on that. WOOF!

Rule 9: I will kill myself for you, for just a little bit of praise and acknowledgement.

Rule 10: Yes, I can make the logo bigger. But that won't solve your problem.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 16, 2009 at 5:34:50 pm

lol
very nice.
I use to be quite the yes sir kind of editor. Now I'm more of a what time would like to come back to see it kind of editor.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on May 16, 2009 at 6:08:15 pm

Good post Dustin. It made me laugh.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on May 18, 2009 at 6:27:11 pm

Great post. Twittered.

My personal face-slapper: The time to show you the cut does not always coincide with the exact moment you walk into the room unannounced!!

And Mark; I want your Rule 8 tattooed somewhere. I had one guy who seemed oblivious to that part of the process between putting the footage on the timeline and having a finished product: "Uh, that's a weird jump cut there" I KNOW, I KNOW!!!

Return to posts index

Dan Archer
on May 21, 2009 at 8:04:54 pm

She's WAY behind I have had at least a dozen nappers. and they all snore. I have had the one drinker who kept spilling wine all over himself. He was that drunk. He was later heard to proclaim best edit decisions he ever made. I happen to agree, but not for the same reasons.

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]