FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice in purchasing a new MAC pro

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
advice in purchasing a new MAC pro
on May 13, 2009 at 8:40:13 pm

I have a G5 and G4 right now and will have to go to a MAC pro and mac book pro soon.

For the MAC pro. I will be doing HD editing and I have an HVX200, but I am not sure if in the future I will getting XDCam and Raw files, etc. The dual quad core is twice the price, but will I need all that processing power if I get a good Raid Array. For Starters I am looking at the G tech 4TB and going with a raid 5. I will also get (in the future) a matrox MXO2 card. I want to have the I/O capability and also to calibrate a cine display. I also do a little titling in AE, but I am not a guru. I do some simple animation. So the question is, should I pop for 6K and get the mack-daddy mac, or can I get away with the quad core, with a lesser processing speed with a raid array. I want to make sure the "pipe" can get the video in and out.

For the MAC book pro, I figured it would be same to "blow the wad" and get the best for remote use with the MXO2.

Anyway, I read so much about "its a combo of your raid array vs. processor speed etc.

Thanks,

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]