FORUMS: list search recent posts

Split Screen Music Videos?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent Whittington
Split Screen Music Videos?
on Apr 22, 2009 at 12:13:17 pm

Hey Guys,

For our Uni class we are required to do a Music Video for one of the University's bands and we have come up with an idea to do a split screen style music video. Kind of like the music video 'Lovesong' by Amiel except in one side there is one singer and in the other side a differnt singer and they walk between each others splitscreen.

So I was basically wondering if you guy's/gals had any tips or other examples of good split screen music videos? I'll be doing a camera test of it tomorrow to show you what I mean more...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/oByRlqhaHMw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/oByRlqhaHMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Any advice/comments is greatly appreciated! :-)

Trent Whittington - Currently studying Associate Degree in Digital Television

iMac - 24inch 3.06Ghz, FC STUDIO 2, Adobe Production Premium CS4.
Asus eee - 8.9inch 1.6Ghz 1Gb Ram, Windows XP

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Split Screen Music Videos?
on Apr 22, 2009 at 4:27:44 pm

I was not impressed much by the sample clip, since it's just one scene mirror-flipped; that's not as hard as synching truly separate action lines, camera shots and locations.

I may have a harder example for you.

Go to youtube and look up several videos by Cibo Matto, directed by the ever-awesome Michelle Gondry. I think one was "Sugar Water", but not a live performance, you may need to specify "split screen" music video. In one of the videos, the spilt screen is the two women split in time as well as space: they are doing identical things, but one is running backwards; the other, forwards, and all their activites somehow still interact.

Gondry is a modern Dali.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Apr 22, 2009 at 5:38:37 pm

This is kinda interesting and may generate inspiration:

http://www.isbrave.com/

Though it is not a music video.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 22, 2009 at 6:51:31 pm

I know the bearded actor in that thing, he said it was a pretty loose and ad-hoc kind of shoot, lots of experimentation.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:56:06 pm

No kidding.... Looks it ;o) He has a great voice. I like the style of the film on the right; looks like it'd be interesting on its own.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Apr 22, 2009 at 7:51:33 pm

The best split screen music video is Kylie Minogue's "Come into My World" directed by Michel Gondry (one of the best music video directors out there).

'>

If you don't own the Director's Label music videos - you should!

Return to posts index

Evan Schafer
on Apr 23, 2009 at 4:48:33 am

You're discrediting Gondry....that video is a little more complicated than spilt screen.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:45:18 pm

The "come into my world" video is explained on the Gondry Director Series DVD (which everybody should own, incredibly inspiring, creatively), it relied on a motion controlled camera to perfectly track the scene over and over as new and alternate actions were choreographed on every camera pass, then the thing was heavily rotoscoped in post to merge all the variations into one apparently seamless loop. It's not so much split-screen in the classic sense of that term.

Interesting that Gondry worked on Minogue's thing as well as the Cibo Matto videos.

When people ask me what a "perfect" science fiction movie is, I point to "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", by Gondry.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:07:30 pm

[Evan Schafer] "You're discrediting Gondry....that video is a little more complicated than spilt screen."

Of course its not a simple split screen, I was definitely exaggerating that (well aware of the complexity), but not sure how I discredited Gondry by acknowledging him as one of the best directors and his video as one of the best. I thought I credited him pretty well... even pointed out that everyone should own the Director's Label compilations. :)

Thought the video might inspire something better and more creative than a split screen... Cheers!

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:43:20 pm

check out Woodstock - it would be an incredible video whenever it was made - but for 40 years old it's mindblowing.

In modern video the style-setter for split-screen work is the Brit TV series "Trial and Retribution" - the first 2 series are on netflix in the US

The producers of 24 tried to model their split screen on T&R

Peter Ralph

http://www.shootingbynumbers.com

Return to posts index

Ron Gerber
on Apr 23, 2009 at 6:15:14 pm

Woodstock will blow your mind, especailly Sha Na Na. Here's a split screen music video for Semisonic. I can't even imagine how complex this was to shoot.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Apr 23, 2009 at 7:11:21 pm

Another one... Blink 182 "Always"... reminds me of those flip books I remember as a kid - where you can match up different peoples heads with different bodies and legs... check it out.

Return to posts index

Trent Whittington
on Apr 25, 2009 at 6:42:46 am

Hey fellow COW's, thanks for your links and ideas, it has really helped :-)

Below is a video of what we are going to do for our music video.

WARNING: BAD ACTING!

SPLIT SCREEN TEST FIXED from Trent Whittington on Vimeo.

Also I was wondering if you had any tips/tricks on keeping continuity? Or how we could make it more interesting???

Trent Whittington - Currently studying Associate Degree in Digital Television

iMac - 24inch 3.06Ghz, FC STUDIO 2, Adobe Production Premium CS4.
Asus eee - 8.9inch 1.6Ghz 1Gb Ram, Windows XP

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
on Apr 26, 2009 at 6:41:20 pm

Maybe not the best example, but I've always loved this. Very easy to do.

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 1, 2009 at 5:46:00 am

While not a music video, check out Timecode from director Mike Figgis. He shot the 90 minute movie using 4 synced digibeta camcorders. It's all one take and the 4 cameras follow different action that eventually converges. They had to do several takes, since one screw-up and all is lost.

A better use of split screen, especially if you are doing this with one actor, is to do the poor man's version of Kylie's video. One locked down shot per scene, and have the actor do his thing in different vertical slices of the scene, then crop each take on a separate layer to make it look like all one scene. Sync is the challenge - you will have to record and play back a lot on set, and do not touch the camera.

Good luck.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]