FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Budget Editing Software?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassandra Tiensivu
Best Budget Editing Software?
on Apr 20, 2009 at 2:07:46 am

I shot and put together this video quickly in about a day and a half for a competition. Most scenes were done in one take.

I edited it in the only software I had readily available to me; Windows Movie Maker. It's OK, but obviously not professional. I'd like a little more control over certain things, such as the ability to really alter the volume on separate tracks. That was the main problem I had with this project. There is some play in WMM, but not enough.

What can you recommend both for video editing and sound editing? And if anyone is up to giving me any feedback on the video itself, I'm all ears. I'm a freelance photographer and illustrator by trade.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Best Budget Editing Software?
on Apr 20, 2009 at 6:04:54 am

My main thought was "man that little girl is totally push that chick off that ladder"
lol
Looks like ya had fun and you learned along the way. You are starting right. MOvie maker is the place to start. Outgrow it as your needs surpass it's capabilities. You'll dig applications like Premiere and Vegas. Both are capable apps and both offer bang for the buck. Vegas offers more in the way of audio and is not expensive at all.
Google em (and other NLE softwares) and pick your favorite flavor. Keep having fun.

and don't be putting chicks on ladders on the freakin deck anymore. Dadgum I think I've made safetly videos with that scene in it.

Return to posts index

Cassandra Tiensivu
on Apr 20, 2009 at 1:57:25 pm

Thanks for your response!

I spent my morning reading about both of those programs. I'm going to download trials of each before I make any decisions.

As to the deck... it was either a ladder on the deck, or crawl up on to the roof. I felt better on the ladder! :)

- Cassandra

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Apr 21, 2009 at 5:16:11 am

Probably Final Cut Express is the best bang 4 buck.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:20:11 pm

Some good suggestions so far...

Since you're apparently a PC user, I'd recommend Adobe Premiere above anything else in the cheaper category; Vegas isn't bad but it's interface seems a bit non-standard to me.

If you've got a Mac around somewhere, get Final Cut Pro.

Also, Avid used to have a free educational version you could download... if you could track that down it would be nice to play with and way better than Movie Maker.

Return to posts index

Ken Harper
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:18:13 pm

AVID Free DV is no longer offered from Avid, but they are giving a 14 day Media composer trial instead. http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp
You might be able to google AVID Free DV and get it from a third party.

Ken Harper
Sr. Editor/Director of Technical Operations
Moving Pictures, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mary Smith
on Apr 28, 2009 at 7:30:17 am

Adobe Premiere is good.
Nero applications also work fine and not so pricey.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 5, 2009 at 8:26:19 pm

Good job!

I like the way you used music and slow-mo. Well done, Cassandra.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]