3D video for use with 3D glasses

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Elliott
3D video for use with 3D glasses
on Mar 31, 2009 at 8:46:13 pm

Hello there

I was wondering if anyone could help me! I have been asked if I can
produce a 3D video show for use with 3D glasses.

Has anyone ever done this or would know how it is doe successfully?

Any help would be greatly apprieciated..

Thanks

John

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 3D video for use with 3D glasses
on Apr 1, 2009 at 1:38:48 pm

This is really hard to do well if doing it "for real" and requires specialized equipment.

However, if you are just goofing around, you can simulate it a bit by slightly offsetting the red and blue channels in your video signal by a few pixels, (Red Giant has a plug in filter that controls this) then watching thru the red and blue glasses. However, the illusion there comes from each object having the red and blue channels moved a different amount, depending on how "deep" in the picture they are supposed to be in the z axis. So to do this "sort of" right, in that you'll have more than one layer of depth in the illusion, you're still going to have to do a multilayer comp, in motion or aftereffects for example, where each layer gets a separate treatment for that shifted color channel trick. Even after all that, it's not going to be great, just kind of "meh". And still give you a headache.

Look at the previous online edition of the COW magazine for an article on shooting 3-d with a pair of cameras and then editing it. it is NOT easy.

Return to posts index

John Elliott
on Apr 1, 2009 at 1:48:02 pm

Excellent!

Thanks you for you reply. I did have my suspicions that I could try and "bodge" it by recreating the offset red and blue channels.

I'm mainly using vector based imagery so I can really see no other way of doing this.

Because I already have the footage, the two camera option is out of the window and everything will have to be done in post.

I'm going to try some tests later this week. So I'll post the results.
I can only say it will be interesting!

All the best

Video Olympic

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 1, 2009 at 4:18:15 pm

I would say that, if anything, vector-based elements would be easiest for doing this kind of stuff, being easier to scale than rather graphics. You didn't say in the original post that this was not live-action.

If you want to avoid LCD shutter glasses, high end special graphics cards and the extra expense and complication of them, you might want to google some research on the Pulfrich Illusion and how a pair of glasses with one dark lens and one clear lens lets you do 3-d in full color without the annoying red/blue effects. Some TV shows have been broadcast using this alternate method, I remember seeing one, and what it has going for it is that if you don't wear the glasses, it looks absolutely like normal television, not all fuzzy.

Return to posts index

John Elliott
on Apr 8, 2009 at 3:49:29 pm

Hey I've found a GREAT! Short tutorial for Ae 3D glasses. This Ae effect can be found in effects/perspective/3d glasses.

I'll post more info when I've fully tested and experimented with my VJ loops. All the best

Video Olympic

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]