FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting technique: flicker sequence cutting

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anka Belz
Cutting technique: flicker sequence cutting
on Mar 15, 2009 at 5:32:43 pm

Hello there,

I am translating a film treatment from English into German (I am a translator, so I don`t know much about editing techniques) and the author, who i cannot contact, talks about this so called "flicker sequence cutting". I don't find anything about it on the web, can anybody please explain it to me, so I can translate it in way that people will understand it.

The whole paragraph is as follows:

"We will experiment with flicker sequence cutting, a technique
used in experimental films, where short bits are cut
in alternation with a few dark frames, to make the images
‘jump’ back and forth."

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Cutting technique: flicker sequence cutting
on Mar 15, 2009 at 10:40:54 pm

What you have sounds clear to me, but you could also maybe refer to it as "stroboscopic effect cutting".

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Cutting technique: flicker sequence cutting
on Mar 16, 2009 at 6:43:10 pm

THe edit will have perhaps one second of picture followed by a 1/4 second of black followed by the next picture, and so on. This will appear as a flicker.

Here's the definition of flicker:

flicker 1 |ˈflikər|
verb [ intrans. ]
1 (of light or a source of light) shine unsteadily; vary rapidly in brightness : the interior lights flickered and came on.
• (of a flame) burn fitfully, alternately flaring up and dying down : the candle flickered again | [as adj. ] ( flickering) the flickering flames of the fire.
• [with adverbial of place ] figurative (of a feeling or emotion) be experienced or show itself briefly and faintly, esp. in someone's eyes : amusement flickered briefly in his eyes.
2 make small, quick movements; flutter rapidly : her eyelids flickered | [with complement ] the injured killer's eyes flickered open.
• [with adverbial of direction ] (of someone's eyes) move quickly in a particular direction in order to look at something : her alert hazel eyes flickered around the room.
• [with adverbial ] (of a facial expression) appear briefly : a look of horror flickered across his face.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]