FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVR - getting video out of it

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kownacki
DVR - getting video out of it
on Mar 13, 2009 at 2:48:49 pm

Couldn't quite determine where to post this. I'm totally unfamiliar with DVRs and so I'm clueless with what you can do with video once its on there. Is there a way to pull files from those things or do you just take the video out to a recorder? Thanks!

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

jon agnew
Re: DVR - getting video out of it
on Mar 13, 2009 at 5:35:17 pm

I plug my DVR into a DV deck, then run the signal out of the deck to the TV. Press play on the DVR, record on the deck...That's it. Always had great results.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25:10 pm

I agree with Jon. If you don't care about quality and just need to pull something off for a reference you can even use your VHS tape deck, that is... if you still have one.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Mar 13, 2009 at 8:35:27 pm

hmmm... well I'm about as anal as they come for quality - given what somebody is willing to pay for. Do those things have firewire video out? A USB or something and have it seeen as a drive on a computer where you could grab an MP4 for instance? Or is is strictly video out up to component/HDMI quality? Apprecitate the help.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 14, 2009 at 9:30:42 pm

When I first got DVRs for home and office a few years back I asked the Comcast tech what the FireWire ports on the back were for. He said he had no idea. So I experimented with trying to "look" at the ports with various forms using the input of video software. No luck. Nothing there.

Skip ahead to when I was finally able to reach someone "technical" on the phone at Comcast I was told that the I.E. -blah-blah-blah (what we mortals call Firewire 400) ports were for (cue mysterious music) "the FUTURE." Exactly what future or even WHEN the future would be coming he couldn't say.

So like the posts before me, I just play out what I want to a DVD recorder through the S Video port. Strictly for PERSONAL USE -- just to get something which can be viewed elsewhere or de-constructed for further study like spots and promos.

Maybe someday when I have the time to move a DVR near an edit system or an edit system near a DVR I'll see if I can get anything by looping the component signal between it and the monitor. When I tried this with the component part of the DVD recorder I got nothing. But then the recorder is SD, not HD.

Fact of the matter is everyone wants you to buy their content, even if you've already -- in theory -- paid for it.

But that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:37:56 am

Check out this link

http://www.geekymac.com/?p=157

Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

Gina Willis
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:49:20 pm

REading over these post, I still have a question. I have a client that has been capturing video via his DVR--- he says it makes a JPG Modified File. My question is, can I pull that format into final cut so that I can edit his video?

Thanks ,
Gina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]