FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator: of any worth to editors?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Illustrator: of any worth to editors?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 4:35:51 am

Nowadays most editors have to be conversant with Photoshop and maybe After Effects. I'm wondering whether any of you has ever found it worthwhile to learn Adobe Illustrator.

I have always assumed the answer was "no," but I just ran across the only reason I'd like to be able to use Illustrator (the blend tool) and wondered whether there is enough more that is of use to an editor, to justify the investment in learning it.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
Re: Illustrator: of any worth to editors?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 6:33:30 am

Yes, I learned it a while back when I was doing corporate and commercial work. I found it useful to use it in conjunction with After Effects because of the vector graphic abilities. So for example, I'd either create (or was given) a vector shape, such as text or a logo which then I'd import into AE for animation. The point of needing to use Illustrator was simply to be able to edit or create vector shapes.

Haven't used it in ages though.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Feb 19, 2009 at 1:10:57 pm

I've learned enough to edit vector files. I get a lot of pdf graphics and its ability to edit those makes it useful. I also use a lot of eps corporate logos on our various program funders (PBS) and use it to scale those and occasionally modify them as well. I'm not thoroughly conversant but use if for what my needs are. Since it comes in the Adobe suite it's nice to have around.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 19, 2009 at 2:50:30 pm

If you need vectors/splines, you require it. If not, photoshop can handle almost all other graphics needed.
I use it more for 3D work than anything else.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 19, 2009 at 4:20:51 pm

In addition to what has already been written. Clients never have their logo broken into layers. If I get the logo as a .jpg or a single layer Photoshop document I can't animate the individual pieces. So I ask for logos in a .eps formate so I can work with it in Illustrator and brake it into individual pieces as I see fit. That way I can create layers in Illustrator and then send it to Photoshop, thus maintaining individual control over the layers when it gets to Motion or After Effects. I'm not an expert in Illustrator but I'm using it to work with files all the time. If your going to buy Photoshop then why not buy Photoshop and Illustrator in a bundle.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:17:29 pm

What Stephen says, plus I find it super super easy to lay out text in illustrator. It is easy to size, reshape, color, and change fonts. You can then export to whatever you want.

Return to posts index

John Baumchen
on Mar 9, 2009 at 9:53:03 pm

I use Illustrator files in my AfterEffects compositions. Can't say enough how I love the ability to zoom in when needed and retain razor sharp edges. Between PhotoShop and Illustrator, ya got all bases covered.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]