FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid vs Premiere vs FCP, legit question...

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Peterson
Avid vs Premiere vs FCP, legit question...
on Feb 15, 2009 at 7:16:26 pm

Hello:

I'm embarking on Avid certification to round my experience out as an editor and I'm getting some decent training on it finally, so that makes me happy, but it's also leaving me confused. You see, I use premiere pro for the most part, though I'm an expert in FCP as well. Could someone knowledgeable here tell me what exactly Avid will do that Premiere can't do cheaper? I already know for sure that there's nothing FCP does that I can't do faster in Premiere (unless I need pro-res).

Is it just hollywood legacy? Is it a perception of premiere being for amateurs? What?

I don't want to start a holy war, I just want to understand why Avid is "Pro" and Premiere is not.

While training, I experienced terrible deficiencies in Avid that are basic standards with other applications, like window and workspace management for instance. It makes me wonder how it is the leading "standard".

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mark Raudonis
Re: Avid vs Premiere vs FCP, legit question...
on Feb 16, 2009 at 5:52:34 am

Tracy,

I'll try to give you as unbiased, straight explanation as I can.

Since Avid was the first NLE to really achieve dominance in the marketplace, it was able to establish itself as "THE" brand. Unlike any other NLE, AVID focused on the 24fps film edit, developing software and hardware that enabled editors to easily cut on an AVID, yet finish on film. As a result of this, AVID's were universally adopted by any editor doing a film finish. Obviously, these were the cream of the crop of the industry's talent.

Cut forward to about five years ago. Advances in processor power has enabled other platforms to
achieve parity in features and capabilities with Avid. Specifically, FCP has now matched AVID in EVERY one of the "must have" features. Some would even argue FCP has exceeded AVID in many areas. What
AVID has maintained all these years is excellence in media management and in the process of trimming.

This "perceived" advantage in trimming is often debated by users familiar with both platforms, but users who would rather fight than switch cling to this as the major reason for sticking with AVID.

When the cost of all the other NLE's represented an undeniable bargain compared to AVID, many people abandoned Avid despite any "perceived" quality difference. I would objectively say that now, in most circumstances, choosing which NLE comes down to "Pepsi vs Coke". In other words, it's really a matter of personal taste.

Mark

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 17, 2009 at 7:40:22 pm

[Mark] I would objectively say that now, in most circumstances, choosing which NLE comes down to "Pepsi vs Coke". In other words, it's really a matter of personal taste.

Pepsi vs Coke...that's perfect. I gave you 5 COWs

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 18, 2009 at 7:14:50 pm

Avid still offers the best media management od any NLE.
OUtside of that, man the name is all your sellin'. There are still trickeling intities that think Avid is a superior product or an Avid will make a difference in theirs. I'm faster on an Avid buit that's it. It's DVE is primative and today Avids are buggy.
FCP grpws by leaps and bounds every year where Avid does not.
Adobe grows every year where Avid does not.
Unless you have a client asking for Avid or you are a freelancer who needs to be marketable... there is no reason to be on an Avid product today.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Feb 19, 2009 at 1:30:40 pm

There is one reason to be on Avid: ScriptSync. Hopefully other editors will come out with similar products for documentarians and other long form editors.

That said, we're moving from Autodesk Discreet to FCP next week (or should I say the install begins?)

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: REALLY GOOD THREAD
on Feb 19, 2009 at 2:29:09 pm

Nicely and non-religiously conveyed guys.

Some day I think Adobe's transcript feature could develop into something with functionality approaching script sync, but then I didn't realize that script sync had been around from 1998?

One wonders what would have happened if Avid would have stayed ten years ahead of the curve across their feature base...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 19, 2009 at 2:53:15 pm

man, they were on track for it. It was just a matter of adding firewire capabilities to the meridien line just 5 years ago. Their revolving door of execs lead them to the demise they are looking at now.
I assume all of those dudes had hefty stock in apple. ;)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 19, 2009 at 8:55:23 pm

What's funny Grinner is as mainly a FCP editor I look back over the last two years and, aside from the initial release of FC Studio 2, I wonder what the heck is going on. Adobe is moving forward w/CS3 and CS4, Avid looks like they are getting back on track w/MC 3.0, but Apple really hasn't done anything to the FCS for over two years. Can we get some Blu-ray authoring? How about fixing many of the numerous problems w/Color? From what I've read I really like how well Avid's ScriptSync seems to be working and being able to add a realtime TC burn would save us hours on making deliverables for our weekly TV show.

I hope Apple has a big announcement in the coming months otherwise this plateau is going to turn into a backslide, IMO. I guess the grass is always greener... :) All this competition is nice though. Hopefully Adobe, Apple, and Avid will continue to push each other so that we get better and better tools to work with.

-A

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 19, 2009 at 9:19:14 pm

Final Cut Studio 2 was released April 2007. Final Cut Studio 1 was released April 2005. Final Cut Pro 4 was released April 2003. I'm thinking there is a trend there and there is a reason you have not seen a new version of Final Cut yet. Final Cut won't be at NAB so your guess is as good as mine, but I would imagine you will see a new version in a few months. Not like I know Steve Jobs or something.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 20, 2009 at 7:12:28 pm

Well if it shows how trands are going, MC is now up to version 3 and in 1994, it was up to version 4.
lol
Can't get much more backwards than that.

Return to posts index

Alan Bell
on Apr 11, 2009 at 11:22:20 am

I started in a cutting room before Avid even existed. I assisted on my first feature when the media composer was at version 4 at that time there was no media sharing. I've cut five features on Avid and 6 features on FCP. I just started a show on Avid recently after the last six being FCP. And I am shocked to find that other than the media codec which we are using, it's basically exactly the same as it ever was. No positive changes at all. Same ol bugs and plenty of new ones too.

I personally think most of the feature editors out there who insist on Avid over essentially any other piece of software are doing so because they don't want to learn a new system. For a group of people who speed all day making changes, they are some of the most resistant to change themselves. But that's just my opinion.

Many editors call me for help transitioning into FCP and I do my best to support them. I get the same statement from the resistant ones. "Well it takes me three mouse clicks to do this on FCP when I can do it in two on Avid" In some cases that is a true statement and in others it's just a biased opinion that when looked at objectively works in reverse as well. Each system is different.

This thread has peaked my interest in Premiere. I used it quite a bit in the early 90's and it didn't work too well for me then. I will have to check it out to seen how it's improved.

Alan Bell
---------------
Discreet Combustion Co-Host
LA Combustion Users Group Co-Host

Return to posts index

Joe Hancuff
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:33:13 am

So I guess I'm relatively new. I've been using the Adobe Suite since it was Premiere 7. I'm now running CS5 in a production environment and have cut my first feature on it. I also do web shows and other short films. Because many of the freelance jobs I see on boards and the like demand Avid, I decided to check it out and see what it was like to learn and run. It's absolute garbage so far. Maybe something happened during the install, but the UI feels like it's from 1995 and there's no workspace management (super important for my 4 monitor workstation).

I honestly don't think I'm going to stick with this trial and I'm going to continue cutting in Adobe. Additionally, one of the biggest reasons I'm an Adobe user is the ability to go back and forth seamlessly between Premiere and After Effects. Since I tend to be both editor and VFX artist on a single project it only adds to the smoothness of the work flow when there is no encoding needed to go between the two.

While yes, I suppose there may be situations where you'd have 3 clicks in Premiere or FCP and two in Avid, for me, I use keyboard shortcuts religiously and I can cut very fast in Premiere. I don't see how I could do it any faster unless certain aspects were automated. *shrugs*

I've really enjoyed this thread and having never used Avid until today, I was VERY surprised as how difficult it is just to setup the interface let alone get to cutting.

Do you guys think that I may shooting myself in the foot by sticking with my Adobe Suite? Or since I have all of my own equipment, should it really matter to the client what kit is used to cut their footage? How do I sell myself in the freelance market?

Return to posts index

Oscar Navarro
on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:24:15 pm

In my opinion AdobeCS is the future, their overall ratings are higher than any other and they are only gonna get better, as the days go by i see more and more editors in the industry switch from FCP to premiere and all the old guys using avid will probably be dead in the next decade or so. (lol ok the last part is a bit of a joke)

also now in Windows 8 you can run FCP so i see no reason to go buy a 4,000 dollar Mac pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]