FORUMS: list search recent posts

Online Editors Salary.

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Turners
Online Editors Salary.
on Feb 10, 2009 at 4:55:51 am

I know this is asked a lot about offline editors but I never see it asked of online editors.
Does anyone know what the salary would be like in LA, at a medium size place, working on material for major studios and broadcast?

any advice appreciated.

I noticed that the closest thing to an online editor on the Editors guild site is a video tape editor...hm

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
Re: Online Editors Salary.
on Feb 13, 2009 at 2:07:38 am

I talked to a friend of mine who said they are making a little more than 65k a year in a similar situation to what you are describing. To me, that sounds a little low to be making living in LA, but if you are doing what you love...

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Feb 13, 2009 at 9:02:15 am

So basically he's being paid what a union assistant editor is supposed to be paid minimum per year?

What system is he using?

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Feb 13, 2009 at 12:54:06 pm

Yep. Seems so. Normally, I think he'd be asking for more (I know he made more at a different job when I worked with him several years ago.) I guess he's just glad to be working these days.

-Tim

Return to posts index

steve sweik
on Feb 13, 2009 at 6:15:55 pm

Hey Rick, curious about what box you're fininshing on, and what your skillset is.Conforming, compositing, color grading, tracking, etc?... I'm sure that would affect salary.
Steve

Return to posts index

scott cumbo
on Feb 13, 2009 at 9:28:10 pm

In NYC it's in the 100k range. but it all depends on your skill set
and clients. and by online I assume you mean finishing work.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Feb 15, 2009 at 8:31:39 pm

My skill set is all of the above. However at this shop they are using FCP, Color, After Effects, etc.
Also, there is a department which does graphics, something that I think some finishers do themselves? We do very little color grading as picture is usually already graded at a lab. The work ends up being mostly conforming and layoffs.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Feb 17, 2009 at 9:39:11 pm

They probably have a graphics department because it's just another service that they provide. But if you are finishing spots / trailers / etc, all graphics are provided by the creative vendor who designed them. All you do is plop them in.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 18, 2009 at 7:23:41 pm

average is around 90k/yr in that area. Hard to make a living on that in LA but there are many editors standing in line for it.
You'll find the average daily rate for a series editor is $750 as a contractor. The 90k is rounded down for what is mistaken too often as security. I'd do that freelance thing at the day rate if I were you.

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Feb 19, 2009 at 3:33:11 am

A series online editor? And by hard to make a living do you mean because of competition?

Basically online editors do just plop stuff in, however where I am, we make sure levels are correct, stabilize, treat slow motion effects, create versions, track.. etc.. no major Color grading or motion graphic/vfx stuff.. which is what I imagine brings it up to the 90k/year range?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 19, 2009 at 2:59:19 pm

I know of no place that pays 90k to plop stuff in. Thats what interns are for. Online editors ensure the show is ready for air. That means everything under that umbrella from levels to the master itself. A good offline means nothing if the guy after them just auto assembles it. This is why online editors usually make more than offline editors. More spacificly, this is why good editors make good money... they simply do not seperate the two... they make a show.

It's hard to making a living at 90k in LA because of the cost of living, not because of the motivating factior of competition. A single guy could live fine on that but those of us who are the bread-winners of a family have to make our way above average pay somehow. I'd have to take a second job in that market at that income.

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Feb 19, 2009 at 9:57:37 pm

Isnt 90k pretty high for anyone in editorial? And yes, we make sure the show is ready for air.. I guess what I'm saying is I think the highly paid finishers (80k+) are on flames/smokes/nitris and doing vfx stuff

maybe I'm wrong though..anyone?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:40:50 pm

the average here in the midwest is about 75k a year. High is well into six figures... thats staff, not freelance.
The cost of living being so much more down there, of course the pay has to be more as well. I'd say 90ish is about average in that market. Some make half that, many double that.

Return to posts index

Kim Winn
on Feb 22, 2009 at 6:40:29 pm

Um, you are wrong. The editors I know make all over 100k in Toronto. Most a good chunk over, but it depends where you work and what you are working on.

90K in Miami for example might be fine, but in LA, New York more like 120k-200k for someone that is skilled working on high profile commerical or television projects.

Return to posts index

cow
Rick Turners
on Feb 22, 2009 at 11:39:15 pm

Really? The ads on media match, craigslist, mandy etc offer salaries usually around 40k..I'm looking in all the wrong places

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]