FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mentor Needed (Broadcast Editing Questions!)

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Hart
Mentor Needed (Broadcast Editing Questions!)
on Feb 7, 2009 at 3:29:53 pm

Hi there,

I've recently made the jump to broadcast editing and, basically, I have started to realise how much I still have to learn.

The editing itself is fine, and i feel fairly comfortable organising my projects and cutting good quality material. However, the learning curve going from mostly web & DVD editing to broadcast editing in terms of delivery requirements, the hand over to the online, preparation etc feels quite steep. Most of it i can get from the broadcaster's delivery requirements document / searching online etc but quite often i have a dumb question and no one to ask!

In short - I want to learn, I want to get things right , and to do a good job - and hopefully be asked to do more broadcast work in the future!

My question - is there anyone out there who has been in my position and who might be willing to help point me in the right direction when i have those dumb questions - rather than me publicly asking every embarrassing thing on a public forum or at work. Someone i can send a quick email to? Someone perhaps with uk broadcast credits?

thanks a lot!
m

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
Re: Mentor Needed (Broadcast Editing Questions!)
on Feb 7, 2009 at 8:30:33 pm

Christian:
There are know stupid questions in the world of television technology and delivery standards. We have all been in the uncomfortable position of not being sure. In fact after 20 years in the business, I still get that feeling every once in a while.

Most producers/clients feel like the editor is the know all end all, but we are human. If you have specific questions I will be happy to try and help you, as will most of the folks here on the Cow!

please feel free to email anytime.

Roy Schneider

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 8, 2009 at 6:02:51 pm

Before DVD, we just hit a red button and called it done.
Now we too have never ending questions, man.
so lay em on us.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 9, 2009 at 7:24:19 pm

This is a great forum for your questions. You should also check out the Broadcast Video forum.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Feb 9, 2009 at 8:59:56 pm

Thanks Roy, Grinner & Stephen for your kind words.

I know the forum is a great place for those one-off questions but what i'm really after is someone who I can directly email, who also has that kind broadcast experience. With a forum it's great to get a range of answers and opinions for a tricky problem with a software bug or such but i'm after something quite different.

Thanks for all your input though. Stephen i will go check out that broadcast video section as you suggested.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 9, 2009 at 9:10:13 pm

If you ask the questions in the forum others can benefit from the answers as well.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Feb 13, 2009 at 2:02:15 am

Christian,
Just preface your questions with "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who really wants to know the answer to this editing question..."

;-)

-Tim

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Feb 13, 2009 at 12:50:29 pm

Ha ha - classic! Will do that Tim.

: )

In actual fact I'm feeling a lot more confident having spoken to the post house & last editor here (touch wood) so yeah, i will probably just ask my dumb questions right out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]