FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dailies/Rushes

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Krickow
Dailies/Rushes
on Feb 6, 2009 at 8:23:52 pm

Does anyone have experience creating DVD dailies for a feature project? I plan on creating some kind of simple title screen with the film title, director's name, shooting day #, date and a chapter menu (including each shot/take). After that would I place all the footage in chronological order by scene or in the order it was shot? Do I start each shot as soon as the slate has left the screen or do I leave it in? I really appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks, Ryan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Dailies/Rushes
on Feb 6, 2009 at 9:29:14 pm

I would ask the person you are giving the dailies to and see what their preferences are.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Ryan Krickow
on Feb 6, 2009 at 9:39:19 pm

I'm kind of looking to see what is standard in terms of dailies, that way I know the options. Most likely it'll just be up to me to create a disc that is easy to navigate and has the footage all synced up. That being said do you have any thoughts on what is standard in regards to the...

1) Menu
2) Where to begin a shot (clapboard or action?)
3) Order of footage (by scene or the order shot?)
4) Use of burn in timecode

How do you usually set up your dailies?

Thanks, Ryan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2009 at 10:35:04 pm

I'm not an expert, I just cut my first feature last month. If it was shot on film the director would yell "Print" if he/she wanted to see the daillie. The dailies would include a keycode number. Digital has changed that a bit because you don't need to transfer the footage. I'm sure you already know that. If you have the time I would make different buttons on the DVD for the different scenes shot that day. I would keep it in the order they where shot, it will make it easier to see how things changed though-out the day if it did. I would always begin a shot at the clapboard. The timecode is usually for the editing department, it doesn't hurt to include it but that is just more time for you to spend on the daillies. I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing what others have to say. Personally, I would re-ask this question in the "Indie Film & Documentary" forum.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Ryan Krickow
on Feb 7, 2009 at 1:25:15 am

Thanks so much Stephen! In regards to leaving in the clapboard... Did you leave in the slate being called out and then the clap or did you just start with the actual clap?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 7, 2009 at 3:06:41 pm

In the commentary of the Godfather DVD, Coppola talk about the scene when Don Vito is in the hospital and Michael is protecting the place outside. Coppola says they needed some time to build tension before the assassins came, and the footage they putted to show the lonely hospital were just unused parts of other shots.

The final image of The Last Temptation of Christ shows an interesting effect. When Jesus die an estrange flare comes from his head. This was produced by the camera when the director called cut and the operator stooped it.

So, I guess it's a good practice to put the entire shots, full clap and everything, because you never know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]