FORUMS: list search recent posts

Great Editing

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Great Editing
on Feb 3, 2009 at 3:09:17 pm

One of my favorite movies is Charade. I was thinking about how cool the ending was cut with the columns. I was wondering what films you felt where some of the best cut films/great samples of editing?

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Nicholas Bierzonski
Re: Great Editing
on Feb 3, 2009 at 3:22:05 pm

I have to add to your list:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (Finale)
Psycho (Shower Scene)

I am still blown away by the editing Mr. Hitchcock did with that shower scene. It still holds up today even though it was cut old school with a razor blade! I humbly bow before his mastery and prowess. This scene gives us all something to strive for and measure our own skills against.

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Bierzonski
on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:43:58 pm

I thought I should add Citizen Kane to this list. You could learn alot from this movie just by studying the audio editing. Welles background on stage and radio gave him an deep understanding of timing and pacing. It's wonderfully executed.

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Mar 2, 2009 at 6:57:28 pm

[Nicholas Bierzonski] "I am still blown away by the editing Mr. Hitchcock did with that shower scene. It still holds up today even though it was cut old school with a razor blade! I humbly bow before his mastery and prowess. This scene gives us all something to strive for and measure our own skills against. "

Yep. Especially since Hitchcock "did the cuts in pre-production."

He was mortally afraid that "the suits" would screw up his artistry, so he planned his shooting so carefully that, after each scene was shot, there was no footage available to reasonably cut it in any other way than he had planned it.

This is something to remember for filmmakers who are concerned about their productions becoming "lamp posts" for producers eager to mark their territory.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:18:39 pm

I'm a sucker for sharp, stylish POW-WOW cuts, more so than the stuff you learn at film school about tension.

Some of the films I watch over and over again because of the editing:

U-Turn
City of God
Hot Fuzz
Domino
Dear Zachary (doc)
Dog Town n Z Boyz (doc)
and....
Top Gear (British TV show)

Return to posts index

Trent Whittington
on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:31:35 pm

RUN LOLA RUN - the german version, great for editing analysis ;-)

Trent Whittington - Currently studying Associate Degree in Digital Television

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 7, 2009 at 5:24:23 pm

In no particular order:

Zulu: Great sound design (many years before it was even called that!), great battle scenes, fantastic climax.

Intolerance: One of the first classics of the silent era. A complex structure of interwoven story lines that's still easy to follow.

M: One of the most chilling scenes of it's day is when the shadow of the "child murderer" stalks his victim.

The Third Man: Beautifully photographed, structured and paced.

Wings: The first movie to ever win the "Best Picture" Oscar. Still some of the best aerial combat scenes ever filmed, and very cute VFX scene ("Bubbles!").

The Searchers: There's a reason so many great directors love this film. It's another example of beautiful photography, solid structure and good pacing.

Foreign Correspondent: Perhaps my favorite Hitchcock film, with some of the snappiest dialog on the screen outside of Preston Sturges or Ben Hecht.

I could go on, but I feel like I'm starting to babble!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 9, 2009 at 12:28:01 am

While I have always loved enhanced chopping like in Snatch, by far the best edits are those never detected.
at least in a story where people are suppose to be following the story.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Fraser
on Feb 11, 2009 at 7:45:43 pm

Amen to that. When was the last time anyone watched "Children of Men"?

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Mar 23, 2009 at 9:12:06 pm

I can't believe U-Turn made Rocco's list, that's great, most people hate that movie... one of my favorites.

My top movie for editing is "Requiem for a Dream" - that movie will give you nightmares, mostly thanks to the startling editing.

Children of Men was great, but I give it props for cinematography - what incredible long takes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]