FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about dual audio tracks on a VHS tape?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Daniels
question about dual audio tracks on a VHS tape?
on Jan 26, 2009 at 6:20:30 pm

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figure I would give it a shot!

I have an ollld video tape that has video on it that I dubbed using this vcr that had a dual audio switch on it (you could switch to dub over the existing track or dub with the existing audio track.)

Well my issue now is when I play the video all I hear is the original track and not the stuff I dubbed years ago (I am talking mid 1980's here!)

I was wondering if there is a program that I could capture this video to my computer where it would find this "hidden" audio track at?

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
Re: question about dual audio tracks on a VHS tape?
on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:22:05 pm

Do you have both audio channels running from your VCR to your monitor? Could be that the original audio is on one channel, and the dubbed audio is on the other. As far as I know, VHS only has 2 audio channels - left and right.

Mike Johnson

Final Cut Pro Editor

Drury Outdoors

http://www.druryoutdoors.com

View Mike Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Jan 27, 2009 at 7:56:05 am

Depending on how ollld it is... The original tape could have been made with Hi Fi tracks introduced 1985-ish). Hi Fi audio is multiplexed on an FM carrier within the video. The audio dub would have only effected the linear tracks which are accessible separately. Most any VHS deck made in the last several years would default to the Hi Fi tracks and only play the linear in the absence of the other.

If you have a deck that lets you select which set of tracks you hear, try playing with that. If not, just to test, if you can access a tracking control, try throwing the tracking out far enough that it loses the Hi Fi tracks. If all of a sudden you can hear what you expected to, time to find an old VCR with proper audio controls.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 28, 2009 at 6:55:29 pm

Dino is right, that's what you have going on. I still have a Matsushita-made 2-part VHS portable VCR that can select between either linear or Hi-Fi tracks, mixing either or both, it still works very well, never changed the heads, thing is at least 20 years old. They sued to know how to make them pertty good!

I woudl try playing it in an S-VHS deck, which is also VHS compatible and may have the FM decoding you need.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 30, 2009 at 11:40:51 pm

No programs out there put oxide on rotting tape.
Get what you get off it asap. It's literally falling away on ya, man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]