FORUMS: list search recent posts

movie about hip hop band

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tel jaba
movie about hip hop band
on Jan 21, 2009 at 1:21:27 pm

what style, what kind of effects would you use when editing a movie about a hip hop band?
this is my first movie about a music band, and I feel it is very "dry", I am used to edit documentaries about conflict, politics!!! serious stuff!! and this one is about a group of kids who rap. so now that he story is built, I need suggestion to how to stylized the movie. effects, reference to examples maybe!

many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: movie about hip hop band
on Jan 21, 2009 at 6:30:03 pm

one should not use effects for the sake of using effects.
Can you post a clip online that needs some jazzifying?

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Jan 21, 2009 at 7:13:00 pm

There are no rules or limits to your imagination. You are as much as an artist as the guys in the band. I edited a 90 min. documentary that features many hip-hop artists. Here's a 10 minute sample of that doc which features some of those interviews:

http://www.vimeo.com/1194767

(please ignore the minor audio glitches; we've since cleaned it up)

I hope this helps you find your own methods and style. Good luck.

Return to posts index

tel jaba
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:32:01 pm

hey Rocco, thanks for your reply
great work, very inspiring,
i was wondering though:

what is the best and fastest way to create those glowy flashes that are used a lot in video clips, where the video would be playing in normal speed then, few frames of fast motion with a glow then back to normal speed
how do I get that glow in Avid xpress 5.8?

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Jan 28, 2009 at 9:47:35 pm

For those flashes in the Stic interview I simply used a very basic piece of stock footage of light whizzing about. (search iStockphoto,com for examples). I then blew it up very large and added a blur so it doesn't look too pixelated. And I probably used a composite mode like Multiply to give it transparency. (I used FCP)

I really need to brush up on Avid so if you don't know how to do that you're gonna have to figure it out yourself ;o)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:56:31 pm

[tel jaba] "serious stuff!! and this one is about a group of kids who rap."

What do they rap about? Is it not serious stuff? You seem to think that rap is not serious, but rather comical. Are they rapping about comedy?

Those would be my first questions to you.

I would imagine that the music is a big part of this documentary, therefore I would imagine that you could pull many ideas from the songs themselves. Listen to them and see if you can come up with transition ideas or perhaps determine pacing from the songs themselves. Without seeing anything at all, those would be my first ideas off the top of my head.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 22, 2009 at 8:32:11 pm

Your job is to complement them regardless of restrictions.

Return to posts index

David Braswell
on Jan 23, 2009 at 2:53:15 pm

Rap = Conflict and Politics.

I won't make assumptions about your knowledge of rap. But if it's limited to 50 Cent, Snoop Dog and any of the other "commercially" successful artists, I would try to learn more about the history and fascination with this genre. The video may be edited but I'm not quite convinced that the story is built at all.

Return to posts index

tel jaba
on Jan 26, 2009 at 12:34:49 pm

hey guys
thanks a lot for all your replies and sorry for my late response
this movie is about a group of guys who are a minority in the country live in, and that is what they mainly rap about
I have been working on the story for the last 4 months, but the director wants a style to the movie (I don't feel we need that, i focus on getting the message across but he wants styling as well) and that is why I was wondering what that styling would be!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]