FORUMS: list search recent posts

Headphones for Editing

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Cirinelli
Headphones for Editing
on Jan 7, 2009 at 7:29:57 pm

Hello all -

I am moving my Final Cut Pro system to an environment where I may have to where headphones while editing. Any feedback on that? Recommendations, tips, etc.? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

- Guy

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Headphones for Editing
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:50:25 pm

I have two pair of the Sony MDR-7506. Love 'em, and I've seen them highly recommended in the Audio Pro forum here on the Cow and other sites.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Guy Cirinelli
on Jan 7, 2009 at 11:25:40 pm

Thanks very much. I will check them out. Are they still comfortable after several hours?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:54:00 am

I don't edit with them, but I've worn them for an eight hour shoot of a corporate event. Had them on my head for about 6 of those hours and never had a problem.

They basically cup the ears rather than rest on them, which is nice.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Wayne Vollweiler
on Jan 8, 2009 at 5:33:25 pm

The 7506s are great. Pretty much industry standard. The one thing you have to be seriously aware of is hearing fatigue. You're going to find yourself bumping up the volume throughout the day. Make sure you take the headphones off and let your ears rest MANY times a day. Easy way to diminsh your hearing quickly.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Guy Cirinelli
on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:28:33 pm

Good point - thanks.

Return to posts index

Matthew Radcliff
on Mar 3, 2009 at 10:05:58 pm

I'll send in a vote for the Sonys -- I've got the 7505, the same model but they fold up smaller. They sound great.

One caveat about comfort -- sometimes I wear eyeglasses, and these headphones can squish my glasses into my ears. If you wear glasses, test how they feel on you.

Matt

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 9, 2009 at 3:25:10 pm

I hate headphones. Hated em when I had to listen to my Twisted Sister Albums on em sos not to wake up Dad, and hate em today when I have to throw em on to edit at night. Nature of the beast workin at home with kiddoes.
I had been head-phoning it at night for at least a full year when one night, I began to have technical difficulties with a mono channel.
Now, I should step back and remind some of you I am stone deaf in my left ear. I don't mention this to my clientele until or unless it becomes an inssue as it is indeed a handicap in this line of work sometimes.
I use to have two ears. I remeber what it sounded like and I totally go by meters, having them memorized based on what I use to hear. I now can translate this to what I hear today (echo in a tin can with no direction perception) by what my meters look like. I hear in stereo by watching.
So, back to the now. Daddy's gettin' his edit on at 2am when he plays a mono sound effect raw, sees meters and hears nothing.
wha??
I did it again. Began trouble shooting.
deadline approaching, I began to question my wiring and was to tear into cables when I stopped and slowly turned my headphones around.

mmm yeaaaah. It had been playing in one channel in my deaf ear all that time.
Freaked me to the bone though. It dawned on me how half blind I really was driving when mastering. Now, I never spit anything out in mono but don't think I slept that night second guessing everything I had sent out up to that point.
Now, I don't mind cuttin with phones on (well I hate it but whatchagonnado?) but when anyithing is coming in or out of the box, stereo headphones are a no no for me.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:40:41 pm

I use the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros and like them very much. They block out external noise better than most standard over-the-ear headphones (which means you can keep them at a lower volume) and, to me, they sounded better than the Sony 7506's when I tested them side by side. I wore them 40hrs a week for over a year and they were pretty comfy (they are a little tight right out of the box but that goes away). You could also look at some of the noise canceling headphones as well, but they give me vertigo so I can't use them.

When I was looking for cans I took a CD of the type of audio I normally work with to a local music store and demo'd 5 or 6 headphones in the store.

-A

Return to posts index

Tyler Schmalz
on Jan 10, 2009 at 9:46:02 am

One bit of information you need to remember when mixing in headphones: if you're mixing a dense mix (a lot of different elements) and you need to place them in the stereo image in order to make them make sense (sound effects, music), you have to check your mix on open room monitors.

The headphones will create a "false" (and by false I mean ultra-real) sense of separation. Since most (if not all) of your clients will be hearing the sound of your production from open room speakers, you'll want to fine-tune your mix from a set of speakers (speakers that aren't straight to your right and left, more in front of you like your viewers will be experiencing).

If you mix something to be 100% right ear, in headphones it'll sound 100% right. Through open speakers (because of reverberations and room reflections) it'll sound more like 75% (or less) right.

Moral of the story, if you've got a lot of sound elements mix the final stereo image when listening through room speakers. Headphones make it sound better than your audience will hear it. You want to make it sound good to the audience, not to your monitoring preference.

Tyler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]