FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Worflow

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Nielsen
FCP Worflow
on Dec 1, 2008 at 4:01:58 pm

I'm looking for some advice on improving my FCP workflow. I am currently editing in FCP on a Dual 2.3 G5 with 14GB of RAM, with a 23" Apple Cinema display. I want to add a second display for monitoring and color correcting, but not sure what route to take.

I shoot with a Sony EX3 generally in 720p/24, sometimes 1080p/24. I am considering a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme as a starting point, and monitoring on an HD LCD. Is there a better option? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an LCD monitor that would be good for color-correcting?

Another reason I am looking at going this route is that I also need an LCD monitor that can double as a studio monitor when I shoot. I was considering purchasing Blackmagic's HD Link Pro to monitor using my Apple Cinema Display, but depending on what second LCD monitor I purchase, and what the inputs are, I may not need this.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to provide more information?

Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: FCP Worflow
on Dec 2, 2008 at 2:37:51 am

Two parts to the color correction question...

1. where is the signal coming from? As long as you're feeding out of the BM card and not from a display card in the computer itself, you should be accessing a relatively accurate signal relative to your final output.

2. Monitor...if it's an LCD you're after and you aren't in the mood to pony up 13-25 thousand, I'd check out the JVC LCD production monitors...they have some models that will take a legitimate video signal (analog component and/or HDSDI) as opposed to something that only accepts a signal as an adapted RGB signal on DVI...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]