FORUMS: list search recent posts

What does your assistant do for you?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Blokland
What does your assistant do for you?
on Nov 20, 2008 at 3:13:06 am

Hello:

I'm about to start cutting a feature, and I'm wondering if other editors with experience in low-budget feature film can give me some advice about working with an assistant. Beyond ingesting, synching rushes and tracking the Cinema Tools database as the rushes pour in, how do you make use of your assistant? Do you find there is a certain period that you need them, and then once you're in the thick of cutting you don't? I'm used to doing most things on my own. I've cut one feature prior to this, and only used assistants for the production phase.

Any real-world experiences/stories/advice welcome.

Best, JIM.

OSX.4.10
Dual 2.7 G5
3.5 GB RAM
Radeon X800 XT
Kona 2 / K-Box
Seritek 1.5 TB RAID
AVID XPRESS PRO/MOJO

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What does your assistant do for you?
on Nov 21, 2008 at 12:34:06 am

Log and captures...labels, sublcips... and organizes footage. Build the show from the acts that several editors have worked on and then output and compress that. Makes DVDs of the tapes for the producers. Imports and organizes the constant influx of stock footage and music selects. COnverts online video as temp stock footage. Creates and manages tape logs.

Makes sure that all the footage that the editors got during the day isn't sitting on the desktop while being referenced in a project...a big no no for FCP. Performs daily maintenance of XSAN. Creates lower thirds for all interview subjects. Often performs the radio edit (VO and Interview bytes) of sequences for the editor to start editing with in the AM.

Lots of stuff to free the rest of us to just plain edit.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:49:55 pm

I make the lazy slouch "gofer" coffee, sweep the editing room & green rooms, clean the monitors, etc. :)

Hey wait a minute, I am the assistant as well! It ain't so grand after all! :(

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 27, 2008 at 7:34:19 pm

mine makes the coffee, handles lunch, gives me happy endings then makes supper that night.

thanks, Mrs grinner!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]