FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adrift - UW conservation film

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sri JIva Southall
Adrift - UW conservation film
on Nov 11, 2008 at 1:02:02 am

Hi All

I'd like some professional opinions of this edit. The client loved it and it went down a storm at an IUCN conference. However I haven't really had much input from the industry side of things more the Underwater diving and shooting community.

Any critique gratefully received and thanks for your time in advance.

Sri

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
Re: Adrift - UW conservation film
on Nov 11, 2008 at 10:15:26 pm

I loved the footage. Consider how you placed your musical crescendos and decrescendos, since I didn't get them at first. I would have liked to see your message a little sooner.

Your client definitely has a compelling story to tell. Maybe you could tell the story just a little faster, and add punctuation to each point your client wants to make. Consider using music as an exclamation, or as a comma, to help your story.

I know this type of project takes a lot of time and effort, so I applaud your work on this. I free dive, so I've seen some of these things first hand, both the beauty and the destruction. Nice video.

from the Flamingo Las Vegas,

TJ McCormick

Return to posts index

Sri JIva Southall
on Nov 12, 2008 at 1:28:09 am

Hey

Thanks for the constructive comments, and great point about commas and punctuation within editing to music something I understand but fail to use properly, I will bear that in mind for future.

Regards

Sri

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:12:10 pm

I was impressed. Could it be better? Sure, would I have tried to change anything to make it so? Not a chance.

Just remember you should never be 100% satisfied with any project, but you have to turn it loose sometime for the public. There is nothing in this you should not be exceedingly proud of.

I loved it, and it definitely tells the story. After all, that is what we do, tell a story, and you did that very well.

Emotionally it worked, and got me teared up.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Las Vegas, Nevada
Charlie@proking.net

Return to posts index

Sri JIva Southall
on Nov 13, 2008 at 1:09:16 am

Thanks Very much Charlie

I guess there is always that feeling when you create something of "when do I stop". I remember when I used to draw and paint a lot at school sometimes it was perfect but you got that itching feeling to add to it or rub something out. Then you'd mess it up, I think knowing when things are ready or not comes with experience.

Thanks

Sri

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 18, 2008 at 5:13:05 am

I have to ask, did you client license the Pink Floyd music?

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Nov 18, 2008 at 10:53:30 pm

Very nice visuals! That's both a beautiful and a disturbing piece. As TJ mentioned, I think the sound design could a bit of attention. You did such a great job with the visuals, I'd hate to see (or in this case hear) the audio detract from them.

Music tells us how we should feel about what we are seeing and you selected a nice background of sound that does that, but another 15 minutes concentrating on sound would really help.

For instance, at 1:32, the audio cut is very abrupt and still in the middle of a musical phrase, which is probably intended to give the viewer a sense of displacement or a sudden jarring effect. But, since it has no "exclamation point", such as a cymbal crash or big sound at the end, it sounds like a mistake in the edit. If you are going to switch gears suddenly and don't want to end with a big sound, you should still pay attention to the musical crescendo so that when you take the sound away suddenly your intent is clear.

I know that natural sound may be impossible to get while shooting some of this footage, but it would add some power if we could hear the sickening sound of fish flapping in the buckets or (most especially) the sound of the explosion at 3:45. If I didn't have that sound at 3:45, I'd foley something in to give it that effect.

I'd also agree that you could trim this down to about half the length and be just as effective. I don't know if you had to hit a target time, but as much as I liked seeing the beautiful footage, it did go a little long for the small screen. I imagine that if I saw this projected on a 12 foot high screen, I wouldn't have that opinion.

Just wondering… Is the text “ghost’s” onscreen at 2:00 referencing a possessive from of the word “ghost” or should it read “ghosts”?

Nice composite work, by the way. Very good overall!

Return to posts index

Sri JIva Southall
on Nov 20, 2008 at 1:58:26 am

Hi All

Firstly i will have to take it down because of rights issues, I was just trying to gauge reaction and see how this aspect of conservation can better be presented to a more diverse market.

I really hate to use music without rights, I am an artist in other sense and understand peoples intellectual property. However I do feel that the likes of Pink Floyd would not mind too much that their music is helping people understand that our world is on the brink of disaster. The underwater wold can collapse when major predators are taken out of the equation. Our forests and tree's which provide our OXYGEN are dying to make paper to print money. Ignorant people will lead us to a place we didn't choose because of their greed.

There is obviously no money in making these films and I don't have Mr Pink Floyd's number so what I did was wrong but in a round about way I think it's fair.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm not fussed if you buy the book or not but I do think as mediators to the general public we need to be aware of the devastation that is imminent to our natural world. I want my kids (if I have any) to see sharks, polar bears, moon rats (yes there are such things) sun bears, pigmy elephants and to breath clean fresh air and natural drink water.

Peace out

Sri

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]