FORUMS: list search recent posts

Effect in Busta Rhymes videos "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and "Give Me Some More"

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Moris
Effect in Busta Rhymes videos "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and "Give Me Some More"
on Nov 10, 2008 at 10:46:56 pm

I don't know which forum to post this too, so I chose this one. Does anyone know how the speed effects were done on the Busta Rhymes videos "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and "Give Me Some More", where everything is in sink, but looks like it was shot at different speeds. Is it the same effect in each video? I figured they shot in real time, while the music and action was slowed down and then sped up in post. My colleague thinks it was the other way around where it was shot fast and then slowed down in post. Can anyone illuminate us? I'm running some tests tomorrow.

Thanks,

José

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Effect in Busta Rhymes videos "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and "Give Me Some More"
on Nov 11, 2008 at 4:26:11 pm

Can you post a link to the video?

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
Re: Effect in Busta Rhymes videos "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and "Give Me Some More"
on Nov 11, 2008 at 10:19:41 pm

from the Flamingo Las Vegas,

TJ McCormick

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Nov 11, 2008 at 10:21:42 pm

whoops! sorry about the other one...

TJ McCormick

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Nov 11, 2008 at 9:32:34 pm

I've seen this effect many times, and I love the look, especially in slo mo. Compositing the slo mo singer to a hi-speed background video makes impressive eye candy.

IMHO, I thought it was shot with an overcranked or undercranked camera, with the audio playback set to the corresponding speed. So, to create a video of your talent, which looks like the action is faster than real time, shoot your subject at less than 24 fps or 29.97 fps, while playing the audio of the song slower, and have talent lip sync with the speed of the playback.

If you shoot your talent at 20 fps (or 1.333 times faster than 29.97 fps), while you play the song slowed by a factor of 0.667 (the inverse of 1.333), the effect is the music is in sync to the real time playback, but the video looks sped up.

To make a video which looks like your talent is in slow motion, but still syncs to the song, shoot at a faster frame rate, and create an audio playback file which runs at the inverse speed factor. The completed video is in sync to real time music playback, but the talent has that slo mo look.

I like Vegas' velocity envelope feature for creating speed and slow mo playback. I've never tried it, but you might be able to get away with using that feature on your editing software, and using a regular camera without over-under cranking functionality. You still have to create the slowed or sped-up audio files to get your desired result, but this is easily done in Vegas, or any other audio software. With this, you'll get a representation of this effect. It won't look nearly as elegant, but you can do it for a lot less.

Any one out there use undercranked or overcranked footage for this effect? I'd love to hear how it "really" works!

TJ McCormick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]