FORUMS: list search recent posts

using other people's footage in music video?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Comstock
using other people's footage in music video?
on Jul 15, 2008 at 10:55:54 pm

I am working on a music video for an indie artist and want to be able to include some footage from a Discovery Channel documentary and some footage from a series of travel tapes produced by a small production company.
If i have to pay money I will, but obviouslly our budget is really low and if there is a chance that they will let us off the hook and just allow it that would be great.
How do I go about securing the legal permission?
Thanks very much
COLIN

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: using other people's footage in music video?
on Jul 17, 2008 at 3:34:54 pm

Forget it, there is likely no way based on your circumstances regarding Discovery Ccahannel. The other guy, well, locate a contact for him and flat-out ASK him. If he's at all interested, he'll tell you who the other rights holders are and then you'll have to ask all of THEM.

But frankly, these things rarely work out, from my observations. Sorry for the bad news.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
Re: using other people's footage in music video?
on Jul 17, 2008 at 4:09:56 pm

It's not impossible that you can get permission. It's unlikely that there won't be some kind of licensing fee though.

You should contact Discovery Channe, and the aforementioned production company collectively and see. Much will depend on the planned method of delivery. If it's solely for internet distribution (as so much indie music video is these days) it might be really cheap. If it's for Broadcast it probably won't be cheap. But even MTV doesn't broadcast musch music video anymore...

Is the footage really ubiquitous or unique somehow ? Many of the Doc channels (Discovery, History, TLC, etc) use LOTS of stock, particularly from Artbeats and Getty Images. You can try going direct to their source and seeing if you can find some more economical stock footage that gets the job done.

Our studios focus is on Music Videos, and video design elements for concerts (big screens etc)... We have really good luck with the stock option quite a bit of the time.

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]