FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final mixing and color correction

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sweta Vohra
Final mixing and color correction
on Jul 13, 2008 at 8:10:25 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a documentary right now that we are planning to picture lock in a few weeks. It's shot in HDV and we've recompressed the footage for easier editing but will output it back to native HDV before we go over to a post house for final mix and color correction.

I've never been through the finishing process at an online post house or audio house...can someone walk me briefly through the steps of it (what do they do, how long does it usually take for an hour long film, usual rates)? And also what are things to consider when choosing a post house for both color correction and final sound mixing? We're a low budget short doc so there is not tons of money to be put into this but I think we've budgeted a decent amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-S

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Final mixing and color correction
on Jul 16, 2008 at 1:49:55 pm

I work in Final Cut Studio 2 and every time I send a project over to a Audio House for Sound sweeting they request a OMF file and sometimes a low res version of the video. The OMF file lets the Audio Engineer work with all of my layers in Pro Tools.

As for Color Correction I've only had film color corrected, if it's the same processes you can come in and make sure the colors are the way you want them...we use a company in a different state so that's not an option. We tell them what we want and then they e-mail us still grabs of so we can make sure it's what we want before they do the final Color Correction. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Producitons

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]