FORUMS: list search recent posts

Absolute Silence in Movie Scenes

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Long
Absolute Silence in Movie Scenes
on Jun 30, 2008 at 12:35:01 pm

In a few movies that I've scene (Dead Silence, The Mist), they heighten the drama or tension in the scene by making it seem as if there is absolute silence around the characters. I'm trying to get this same effect in my movie and it's not coming out right. Do, I just need to lower the suspense music playing or lower the ambiance, etc., or is there something else that need to be done to (frequencies, etc..).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Absolute Silence in Movie Scenes
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:57:25 am

Delete the audio............................................

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 1, 2008 at 10:33:07 pm

I would suggest you keep the audio, but use a combination of compression, filtering, and EQ to make it very muffled and indistinct, like hearing people above you while you're underwater. This lets you keep the volume a little higher but emphasize a subjective distance. This works even better if coupled with a "Hitchcock Zoom".

There have been a few moments in my life where it felt very much like one of those movie scenes where all the audio drops away and you just hear your own pulse. None of those moments were good experiences.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Jul 1, 2008 at 11:36:39 pm

There's a wicked-cool scene in The Pianist where the sound goes out. Check it out.

Return to posts index

Michael McIntyre
on Jul 19, 2008 at 6:33:52 pm

Another great scene in 'Black Hawk down'. Ewan McGregor's character temporarily loses his hearing due to a nearby RPG ricochet.... "Can you hear me?!??!?!?... I hear bells ringin'...."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]