FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd body movement - how can I create sinister effect?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Wright
Odd body movement - how can I create sinister effect?
on Jun 24, 2008 at 11:37:43 pm

Does anyone know how to create the odd movement (unnatural, stuttered effect) as seen in White Stripes - Blue Orchid video? I want to create this effect but more extreme, to make a person move in quite a sinister way. Are they movin very slow, changing their pose dramatically every so often, which is then sped up in editing? Are they moving backwards in this way and then sped up and reversed in editing?

I can't quite make out how it's done. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
Re: Odd body movement - how can I create sinister effect?
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:06:15 am

Floria Sigismondi is an incredibly talented artist and Director! I'm sure she has many secrets up her sleeve to obtain the looks she gets.

That said, it looks like some pretty intricate speed ramping coupled with very specific direction for the band members. I looks like it's shot at a high shutter speed, then slowed down, then sped up again. Add blur, add camera shake, add grain, add horse and you're rockin & rolin, yeah

Return to posts index

Carlton Rahmani
Re: Odd body movement - how can I create sinister effect?
on Jun 12, 2010 at 9:34:41 am

Yeah, it's a couple of years late, but it looks like they film it at a real slow frame rate with, perhaps, longer shutter speeds. I'm no cinematographer, so I can't say if it's possible to make longer shutter speeds with either a film or digital camera, but another advantage, aside from some of the motion blurs you see, is you don't have to worry about lighting so much when you're working with longer shutter speeds. (I have enough experience with still photography to figure out a few things, though.) I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that they used all natural light for the video.
Also looks like some of the footage was played backwards as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]