FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 8.0 versus Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 / 3.0 which is better

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lieber
Vegas 8.0 versus Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 / 3.0 which is better
on May 8, 2008 at 11:20:36 pm

I am trying to see which package is better or what the positives and negatives are for each. I currently have Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 as part of the Production Studio, but heard that Vegas 8.0 is pretty good too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this....

Is there any reason to get Vegas for features that are not on Premiere....better DVD authoring etc....Film effects and plug ins not on After Effects?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam Rose Esq.
Re: Vegas 8.0 versus Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 / 3.0 which is better
on May 11, 2008 at 6:56:56 am

the only real way to answer that is to download a trial of vegas and try the workflow. some people love it, some don't.

a reason to change would be the speed. all NLEs accomplish pretty much the same thing, but Vegas's claim to fame is how quickly one can work.

the FX in vegas is NOT a reason to change from PPro etc. AE can do far more FX than any of the NLEs.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on May 12, 2008 at 4:05:54 pm

I use both. I have Premiere Pro 2 in my Creative Suite Premium and just purchased CS3. I tend to use Vegas more for actual editing, than I do Premiere Pro.
In my opinion, Vegas has the best MPG codec I hvae found, it is super clean compared to what I have received from anyone else's compressions. I use DVD Architect to create video playboack loops because I find it to be easier and faster to work with.
Each of these items have their strengths and weaknesses, so I have migrated back and forth according to the project.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

Chris Lieber
on May 12, 2008 at 10:50:27 pm

You bring up a good point, because when you want to take a file and compress it to give someone or put on the web, the one in PP seems to be "okay" to me, better than 1.5, but you said that Vegas has excellent encoding...I can get a student deal on the Vegas 8.0 for about $250 so I am wondering if this might be a good investment for some of the other features it offers....like encoding, speed etc...also our composer has Vegas 8.0 and she was able to do some cool effects with it such as the film look and others....

Return to posts index

Adam Rose Esq.
on May 13, 2008 at 6:36:04 pm

yep, the main concept mpeg encoder in vegas has been tops for a long time. Is a reason most vegas users AFAIK do any downconverts in vegas rather than in camera.

another point to consider and a valuable one at that: vegas supports scripting, so there is a load of tools users have made that can increase productivity massively. The most popular commercial tools are Excalibur and UltimateS3, but on some forums, peeps will make them to order, ie free. Have saved lotta time over the years with scripting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]