FORUMS: list search recent posts

CRT vs LCD?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Crosby
CRT vs LCD?
on Apr 23, 2008 at 8:28:35 pm

Hey guys,
I tried this question in the Broadcast Video forum but thought I might have more luck in here - point me in the right direction if I'm wrong...

So I have 2 monitors in my edit suite; a broadcast NTSC interlaced CRT and an LCD HD monitor. My boss wants me to replaced both with one big LCD HD monitor. I feel as though since interlaced tv's are still in a lot of people's living rooms that I still would need an interlaced monitor to check for shimmer or other various problems that might arise.

I wanted your opinion on whether one LCD monitor would suffice or if I should keep the broadcast NTSC interlaced CRT and LCD HD monitor. We are a small production house that deals with both SD and HD content.

Thanks guys. I absolutely LOVE this website!

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
Re: CRT vs LCD?
on Apr 23, 2008 at 8:31:52 pm

What sort of a budget are you dealing with. I believe it will dictate things a bit as cheaper HD flat screens don't do so well with interlaced SD.
If you have the money, I like the Sony and JVC Pro Broadcast monitor with HD SDI etc.

RB

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

"Have a nice day!"

Return to posts index

Andrew Crosby
on Apr 23, 2008 at 8:51:35 pm

I'm not exactly sure about the budget but I tend to think it would be on the pricier side of things. My only reasoning for pushing back on eliminating the interlacing CRT is using it to check for shimmer.

For example, our last big budget production had orange text on a white background. On the HD flatscreen we currently have the text looked fine, but on the CRT it was very shimmery. I have to assume that if the CRT is eliminated that the problem would not be detected even on an expensive monitor. I believe we ended up changing the colors slightly to fix the problem.

Am I missing a step? Is there some sort of filter or something that should have prevented the orange on white from going bonkers? What do most edit suites have for monitors?

-Andy

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 24, 2008 at 1:24:55 am

bust a sweet flat panel for the client monitor and keep monitoring off a good ntsc monitor.

and tell your boss to stay in his office!
best way to run off great talent is to go pokin around in their suite.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 24, 2008 at 1:52:19 am

I'm with grinner for the most part. We have the JVC 26 inch new broadcast LCD for HD monitoring only, and a Sony PVM-14U for SD monitoring. Component analog feeds the Sony and HDSDI feeds the JVC. Together they offer the best combination for our shop which still does quite a bit of SD work.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Andrew Crosby
on Apr 24, 2008 at 2:59:42 pm

Awesome, thanks guys! Amen to that Grinner, he does a lot of micromanagement.
Yeah right now we are currently using an 18" Sony PVM-1954Q for SD and a 20" Sony LMD-210 for HD/SD. Personally I think they are both fine, but he is insistent on getting one big HD/SD monitor. At least now I have some ammo for the next confrontation.

-Andy

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:19:35 am

He wants to wow a client with a big screen and the driver needs to see out da window.
its kinda like that.
maybe run a line to his office with a bif flat screen so he stays on his side of the building?

No non creative types over here, man! were like, tryin to create and stuff!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 26, 2008 at 3:25:45 pm

Good advice from all... I will throw in my late two cents here...

In each of our edits suites we have a reasonably big (not gigantic, 42") plasma monitor for clients. However the editor has LCD monitors for computer and HD, and good old-fashioned CRT for NTSC monitoring.

I find the CRT critical for NTSC, for reasons including the one that you mentioned... sometimes stuff can knock your socks off on the plasmas or LCDs, but definitely reveal problems on the CRT. But if it looks good on the CRT, it's almost always going to look good on the others. And since we mostly do broadcast commercials, they have to look good the way that most people are going to see them... which at this point is still CRTs.

I'm reminded of a story I've told before... years ago I was visiting a zillion-dollar recording studio in Nashville. The audio wiz was mixing an album for some group (I don't remember who, but somone well known). He was sitting there behind a million-dollar board probably twelve feet long, surrounded by banks of huge monitors that would make any audiophile drool. He would make countless tiny tweaks with the sliders, diffferences he could hear, but I of course couldn't. Then every so often he would kill the room audio and reach arond to turn up the sound on a little crappy 12" black and white TV set from Wal-Mart. I'm sure I had a puzzled look... but he quickly explained that the song had to sound just as good as possible on the TV's little 3" speaker, that a lot more people would be hearing it that way from the song's video on MTV or VH1 than would be hearing it from monitors like he had. He had to make sure it was adequate for the weakest link, as well as the best one.

Sometimes CRTs are a bit like that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 28, 2008 at 5:03:23 pm

I use the 2" speaker in my Sony 14" CRT for the exact purpose Todd mentions. It may temporarily be annoying for others in the office, but 90%+ of people do not listen to television through external speakers. I even stopped using my surround sound system at home when I got a newer tv with decent sound.

Stick to the CRT+LCD principle:

CRT = Common Regular Television
LCD = Lowest Common Denominator

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on May 2, 2008 at 5:52:17 pm

I totally agree with you guys. I have always had a crt that would not filter anything so I could see what I really had without the corrections that many monitors do. Audio was always final mix down using small speakers known as near field speakers. So you gotta have near field video and a near field audio in order to see what that sweet little old Grand mother is going to be watching and hearing at home.
Wait, that sweet little old grand mother is my wife.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 7, 2008 at 10:11:13 pm

Ah, so that's what is behind that unmarked door I kept passing in the Flamingo lobby last NAB...

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on May 12, 2008 at 3:58:59 pm

Well, probably not. I'm not located in the lobby. I'm hidden away on the second floor way back in the bowels of the building. But yep I am at the Flamingo, and the unmarked door actually is marked now with a sign that says "Unmarked"

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 17, 2008 at 3:07:31 pm

lol
reminds me of a trip from the airport one evening.
Lady told me to wait for the "next" shuttle. Man, I tried to get on the next one four freakin times and each time the driver would yell "you want to get on the NEXT shuttle!"
dammit, I've been tryin for 30 minutes to get on the next dang shuttle.
about that time, a shuttle rolls up with a big lit sign on the front that read
"Next".

ok now theyre just messin with a brother.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]