FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinions on the shutter

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
Opinions on the shutter
on Apr 16, 2008 at 12:35:09 am

I just saw an American version of a Japanese film called "shutter"

Its a horror flick with very few mechanical efex the editing rythm made the film.

I think it was an overlooked but extradinary film at least in the editing aspects.

I thought the same about "August Rush" the visual and musical editing where superb. inmo

Any comments on this

RC

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Opinions on the shutter
on Apr 16, 2008 at 6:31:35 pm

Love both of those.
My earliest mentor stated so many tims that the best edits are undetected that I cheer for what I see as rebelion in these pieces. I love the "hey look at me" chops and until flicks like Snatch, I was quite the edit-hider.
Now, I love editing to the beat of a conversation and I love teasing, tormenting leading and misleading. These things can easily be done by waving for one's attention.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Opinions on the shutter
on Apr 17, 2008 at 5:19:33 pm

I probably would be one of those mentor types, but occasionally a piece comes in that just cries out for breaking the rules. The story is best told by jarring the viewer into a realization of the message and do that is a lot of fun.

On the other hand, subtlety still has a lot going for it. Sometimes the touch of a hand on someone's arm conveys the story or letting the talking head make a poignant pause before moving on adds emotion to a piece. That's why editing is such a great craft - we get to use whatever tools and methods we like to create whatever mood is dictated.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]