FORUMS: list search recent posts

naming convention for clips

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew chung
naming convention for clips
on Apr 13, 2008 at 9:41:38 pm

i was curious to see if there is a standard naming convention for clips. i'm partway thru cutting a feature and the convention i'm using is scene number - angle (cu, ms, 3 shot , ...) subject action take number so my clips look like

44 - CU Ben standing take3.avi

just want to see if there's a best practices approach to naming this stuff. thanks.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: naming convention for clips
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:01:48 am

It depends on your team. If you are asst editing, you need to ask the editor. If your are sharing a project, be as spacific but short as possible. If your a one man band, just use keywords you'll know later. I have labled clips wtf, lol, omg and groovy freakin milf. I've known at a glace what all of em were.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2008 at 7:36:26 pm

...And that's why Grinner no longer works for PBS:-)

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:37:10 pm

My own preference is to use the shot # straight from the slate. 44B3, 44-B-3, or 44_B_3 for example. As the editor, I'll usually remember that A is the master shot, that B is Ben's CU, etc.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2008 at 7:39:50 pm

The only thing I'll add here is, it was many painful experiences in importing image sequences that burned into my brain the lesson that you start any set of clips or bins for an editing database with a numbering system using "0000, 0001, 0002, etc.". Because the computer will shuffle them out of order every time you don't.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 16, 2008 at 12:23:15 am

I use scenalyzer to batch capture trim and delete all all the clips then i re name them and edit them in my application

I save tons of hours by using scenalyzer to and log and pre edit. scenalyzer is a destructive process style where you trim,cut and delete and the original is reflects those changes. it also saves a lot of space on your hd

check it out its dirt cheap but very powerful

Richard Cardonna

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]