FORUMS: list search recent posts

I finally figured my Adrenaline!

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pixel Monkey
I finally figured my Adrenaline!
on Mar 10, 2008 at 4:34:11 pm

Man this thing sucks. If you’re an OTD* like me, I’m sure you either hate the Adrenaline, or have come to the same conclusion I just did this morning. But le'mme post this here rather than bug the tekkies in the Avid forum.

If it wasn't for the Adrenaline, I'd probably sign-up to be an Avid Evangelist. I fully understand why the Adrenaline came about, and furthermore would probably make no changes if I could go back in time and place myself on the Media Composer project management team. With Apple’s Final Cut penetrating the market, a software-only Media Composer was inevitable. Thus, using Mojo and Adrenaline boxes much like placing a Turbo atop your engine was also a given.

Notice how many 2008 cars on the lot have a Turbo option? Yeah, exactly.

(Cue meandering rant) My biggest frustration with the Adrenaline is that it actually runs perfectly -- exactly like my old ’77 Buick LeSabre. I loved that car. I was the only person able to get it started; it had an exact sweet spot on the gas pedal; there was an exact spot on the left side of the trunk I had to hit with my fist in order to open it; I also had to change my own oil because that year Buick changed the oil filter’s set-up just enough where 10-minute oil change places would always mess things up. But one day I blew-a head gasket. On a cold, wind-free day in Buffalo, there was a 20-foot tall cloud of white, anti-freeze smelling smoke billowing down Seneca Street. All because I didn't perform the precise order of events and series of massage-therapy techniques it required to work properly. Then I bought a brand new Subaru Outback and I’m still waiting for even a headlight to die. Wow what a difference.

Buying this Adrenaline is like the reverse of that-- like having run my Subaru for years, then having to adapt to the LeSabre. It just sucks, and operator error is totally to blame -- as it should when you move to a fully software-driven system. Unlike the good ‘ol AVBVs, or even the Meridians, I’m ALWAYS operating too fast for the system. I hit five commands on the keyboard and wait six seconds for it to catch up. (It’s not just my system – I’ve seen this on almost a dozen other Adrenalines in a number of cities.) Functions that used top take seven clicks now take twelve, and require a specific order of events to happen before beginning those twelve.

A few weeks back one of my Assistant Editors asked me for a layman’s terms explanation of high-definition media handled by an Adrenaline vs. Symphony or Nitris. I pulled out my “The Little Train that Could” reference. Picture two 18-wheelers hauling a few identical tons of high-definition media each. Drop a 15-liter diesel engine into one, and a V-6 from something cheesy like a Dodge Intrepid into the other. Both in theory could get from point A to point B, but the one with the V-6 would need a lot of “adrenaline” to keep up, wouldn’t it?

So, what was my big epiphany this morning? Acceptance. Like a good little doggy, I’ve decided to stop whizzing on the floor. Avid’s choke collar has finally worked. I got what I paid for. At least it ain’t Adobe Premiere, right?

Why accept? What other choice I got? Heck I've been watching their Feature Request forum on avid.com for years and have yet to see anyone's post make it into a release.

*OTD – Older than Dirt, which in this industry applies to anyone having run a Media Composer, or any other edit system for that matter, since before Windows 95 was released.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
Re: I finally figured my Adrenaline!
on Mar 12, 2008 at 9:40:55 pm

That post cracked me up.
But if it makes you feel any better, I just moved locations and I'm going from the past few years of editing on a suite of Avid Adrenaline HD systems connected with Unity and with Airspeeds to play out on to...

(insert SFX of drum roll)

Adobe Premier!

(insert SFX of cymbals and various percussion equipment falling on the floor)

That's what I get for whining about the Adrenaline's long boot up time. On the bright side, at least I'm expanding my knowledge base, huh?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:42:03 pm

bwaaahhahahah
you took som many words right out of my mouth. I cant tell ya how many times I have talked smack to the adrenaline with a client in the room with me.
"wtf?"
"oh superbin, huh. It'd be superer if I didnt have to keep puttin em where I put em."
"doooooont crash now baby. Daddy sooo loves you!"
"wt livin f!?"

It truely is hard to rewind your brain and start catering to this box after so many years on a real Avid.
I can't afford to be trained by Avid tho. My competition is full of younger dogs with less weight to carry.
Besides, I could have been a perfect dog a long time ago and made alot of freakin money. I'm all about fetching and wagging my tail to the man, the good dog that I am, but every now and again the man needs a wet shoe to know whats up.

I really dunno how they stayed in business these last couple of years. I expect that will change very soon.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 17, 2008 at 6:26:47 pm

Hey guys,
Don't feel so bad, I finally retired my old Avid Express 2.2
and am working with combinations of Premiere Pro, and Vegas Video. Between the two of them I can get a job done. Keep in mind I am no longer doing broadcast for the most part. God, I remember how I use to talk to my equipment to keep it up and running. You do bring back memories.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 18, 2008 at 1:00:32 am

oh theres the tone of voice changes that can turn a computer...
in adrenaline's case, there are even certain pats and strokes for the cpu itself.
Working from home, my wife and kids know the chant. Group prayer does indeed work, man.

Return to posts index

Chris Bové
on Mar 18, 2008 at 2:03:51 pm

...just like Pedro Cerrano praying to Jobu in Major league?

(attached)

http://hitlesswanderings.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/jobu4.png

(Except the adrenaline don't like rum. Too strong. It like schnapps.)

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

Kevin Dearing
on May 2, 2008 at 7:56:37 pm

Ha. Cracked me up too. But then when I got to the bottom:

"...*OTD – Older than Dirt, which in this industry applies to anyone having run a Media Composer, or any other edit system for that matter, since before Windows 95 was released...."

That sobered me up... Man.. I guess I'm old. My first NLE was the Toaster Flyer and before that I was all analog for a while.

Media composer - heck, I can't even remember what Avid's earlier NLE was called - they discontinued it sometime around '96 ?? I used that thing for ... who knows how long! We had a whopping 18 Striped gigs for editing Weddings at the highest AVR we could muster from the system (can't remember what it was). I remember having to 'shift the P ram' or whatever like once a week on our power mac 8500's.

Then we got the Composer 1000 system. then I jumped out of the biz.. (which I now miss horribly) Now I'm just playing around at home with ... hehe adobe premiere! But hey, it's good for what I do - play around, occasionally shoot a school play or do a video for my Church or something..

But I think I'm kinda happy that I don't have to deal with Adrenaline!

--KTFA

Return to posts index

Kevin Dearing
on May 2, 2008 at 9:16:47 pm

"...Media composer - heck, I can't even remember what Avid's earlier NLE was called..."

Media Suite Pro

--KTFA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]