FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rockport Maine Workshops

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kendra Pasker
Rockport Maine Workshops
on Feb 19, 2008 at 7:25:55 am

Hello to my fellow Bovine Editors!

Does anyone have experience with the Rockport Maine Workshops? I'm comtemplating taking one of their editing courses for technique and (mostly) networking purposes but I can't decide if it'll be worth it. I want to cut feature films but currently most of my experience in docu-drama, lifestyle tv, documentaries and HQ corp projects. What say you moo'ers? Any ex-RM Workshoppers out there? Ideally I'd like to find a workshop like the ones Sundance has for directors, producers, actors, screenwriters, film composers...errr, almost every creative field in film except for editing (why is that??) where at the end of it you have a finished work to show and have hopefully met some fantastic filmmakers.

Thanks!

KK

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Rockport Maine Workshops
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:34:49 pm

No personal experience but I know the Rockport workshops are one of the older and more well-established ones, along with a "school" workshop run by Sony. Could it be bad and yet be around all this time, over 20 years?

I think the Sony workshop is usually run concurrently with a shooting workshop, they often use the big Balloon race/event out West in NM as the subject; you shoot and then you edit, all hands-on, all Sony products. No doubt since I was last aware of it, they've expanded to more places.

Or you can take Dov Simens' instant internet courses:-)

Return to posts index

Kendra Pasker
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:52:41 pm

Um ok, wow, I just went to that website and I think I'll take Rockport Maine Workshops, Lol.

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Feb 20, 2008 at 5:39:44 pm

Hi Kendra,

I was a staff editor over in Post 2 summers ago, and so while I didn't take any of the classes, I certainly saw what was going on and heard what students thought.

That being said, in general, I think the Workshops are great for learning specific skills. I have never been a huge fan of 4-week film bootcamps, but the students who go through their 4 and 7 week camps seem to like them (I'm a big proponent of undergraduate degrees unlike most on the board :P)

On the other hand, alot of classes that are on the schedule don't "run" if not enough people sign up for them, and I know the Master Editing class 2 years back didn't run for that reason. I have no idea if last year's class ran or not.

The atmosphere up there is great, the setting is beautiful and despite being in class all day, it is pretty relaxing. If the Master Class runs, I think it would be worth your while. Personally, I intend on attending the Master Class maybe next summer.

For what it's worth, a great place to network with editors from all over is the Editor's Retreat (FMC puts it on). Pricey, but you do get editors from all walks of post and classes on a great variety of topics.

just my .02,
nicole

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
on Mar 5, 2008 at 3:19:30 pm

Hey Nicole, do you still in Maine/New England?

Nate

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Mar 5, 2008 at 4:14:45 pm

Hi Nate,

No, I'm not still in Maine. I'm originally from Massachusetts, but now I'm living in Virignia (which, amusingly enough, you seem to be down here as well). I work in a boutique post-house up in Falls Church called RHED Pixel.
Ah, if only the Workshops paid an actual living wage, I would return in a heartbeat :)

Nicole

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:04:20 pm

Hey Nicole,

Shoot me an email when you get a sec...I'd like to talk to you a bit more, but not bog down the forums with chatter.

nateboston (at) comcast.net

Nate

Return to posts index

Kendra Pasker
on Mar 12, 2008 at 3:21:39 am

Thanks Nicole. I took a look at the Ediotr's Retreat but I think Rockport might fit me a bit better.

Return to posts index

Nate Boston
on Mar 5, 2008 at 3:17:18 pm

Hi Kendra,

I'm actually from Rockland, which is the next town over from Rockport. I worked at one of the three Post house's in Camden (also next to Rockport, but to the north) and we had regular contact with the Workshops - mostly to rent gear. However, I worked with a lot of people who teach there, and I know they are all professionals in their respect fields. While I have not taken any of the classes, I do know this:

- They hire people from all over the world to teach
- The students come from all over the world to learn
- You will learn a lot
- The people are great
- Almost all of the work I've seen come out of there is great
- Just take a workshop, don't enroll in the college accredit degree program
- As Nicole said, you will network with a lot of like minded people
- Go in the summer when Maine is WARM and the most beautiful, and be sure to take advantage of a schooner rides out of Rockport harbor ;-)

I think the bottom line is if you have the money to do it, take advantage of the workshops and learn new skills. The workshops are known worldwide, so having that on a resume will be nothing but positive. You will learn a lot and have a good time, and of course you will meet a lot of great people.

Nate

Return to posts index

Kendra Pasker
on Mar 12, 2008 at 3:20:02 am

Awesome, thanks for all of the great info! I plan on seriously taking a look at their course schedule. Hopefully I'll find something that fits my needs.

Thanks again!

KK

Return to posts index

Dan Harvison
on Mar 10, 2008 at 6:44:34 pm

I've taken three or four courses the the Maine Media Workshops and I can't recommend them enough. I learned so much during my week-long classes. I haven't taken any of their editing classes so I can't really comment on them specifically, but I look forward to going back there every year. The staff is great, the envronment is great and the students are great. I've also taken classes through the Sony Training Institute, which I'm not even sure is still around, but the Workshops in Maine beat them hands down. Plus, the food is fantastic.

Dan

Return to posts index

Kendra Pasker
on Mar 12, 2008 at 3:25:10 am

Thanks Dan, it's great to get a student's perspective. And it turns ot the Sony Training courses are still around and they have some interesting stuff!

Thanks Again,

KK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]