FORUMS: list search recent posts

sound effects to sweeten transitions & effects?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Woiler
sound effects to sweeten transitions & effects?
on Feb 7, 2008 at 12:15:24 am

Can anyone suggest to me where to find audio effects that work well with high energy visual effects? I need typically some whooshes... and for a long time I have wanted a sound effect that sounds like flash powder lit off. Pouring gas on the ground... waiting a few seconds and then lighting it up is a similar sound. I just need most of the sound effects we hear so often! thanks.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: sound effects to sweeten transitions & effects?
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:12:16 am

sounddogs.com
soundamerica.com
both are freebies. You can search out others though.
I've also been guilty of foleying my own little wooshes in the mic by, well, goin' "woooooshe" into the mic.
lol
It's all in how emphatic ya get, man.

Return to posts index

Glenn Woiler
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:36:03 am

There are so many at those sites!!! This could take a long time! You don't know of a small package that are the most used in editing? There are a few whooshes that go along with a flash of white.... and a few others that are very common.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:12:05 pm

SoundDogs is very nice, but not all the clips are free. Though I found them very resonable on price.

The Hollywood Edge is also a great staple. I hear pro stuff all the time that uses their sounds.

A lot of people use and like the sound effects collections from DigitalJuice.com. They now also package some keyable wipe patterns that already come with apropriate sound effects, calles "swipes". Worth checking out their site, I think we're going to buy their new sound effects collection.

Just be careful: these are to be used sparingly, like condiments. Too much pepper doesn't make the meat any more flavorful. And because the Digital Juice products are relatively popular and inexpensive, you risk looking like everybody else that has the same package unless you take the extra time to customize and not just use the presets stock.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

Glenn Woiler
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:46:12 pm

Thanks. I once had to shoot a book being burned. It was an occult book. I found a clearing in a wooded area that looked good and put some gas on the book and backed up. Camera was rolling on tripod so I lit the match knowing that fumes spread.. but the resulting whoosh ignition with low base rumble sounded great. But I can not make these sounds when I want them! Only by accident. But the sound of flash powder igniting like the old photographers when they would hold up a thing with flash powder on it and then it would flash is a sound I would like to have. It would go good with a white flash transition with photos. Maybe I need to buy some black powder if I can do it without getting labeled as a terrorist and make the sound myself. thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 7, 2008 at 9:06:18 pm

Check these out--$99 bucks and they're great for text and other swipey transitions.

http://www.videocopilot.net/dsfx.html

Michael.

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Feb 8, 2008 at 9:11:13 pm

A few other tricks you can try:

How do you make a dog "woof"?

sprinkle him with lighter fluid and toss a match on him, he goes woof!

How do you make a cat "meow"?

Stick him in the deep freeze, then run him through a band saw, he goes meow!

Sorry, I couldn't resist when these old childhood jokes came to mind after reading your post.

"everything is broken" ......1st. coined by Esther Philips I believe.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 8, 2008 at 7:49:15 pm

man, thats nice.
good find, dude.

Return to posts index

Damon Chambers
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:26:55 am

videocopilot.net have a cool cd of over 500 effects that are commonly used in movie trailers, TV commercials, etc. I'm almost positive you will love this disc. It's called Designer Sound Effects.

Return to posts index

Doug Collins
on Feb 7, 2008 at 10:25:32 pm

Tried googling the soundamerica.com website and got a malware warning...see below.

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your computer at StopBadware.org.

Suggestions:
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.
Or you can continue to http://www.soundamerica.com/ at your own risk.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmasters Tools.
Advisory provided by

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on Feb 14, 2008 at 7:11:45 am

Freesound is one I've used before, with pretty excellent results:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

I agree with the "pepper" comment below - personally, I can't stand when someone gets a little too SFX happy, and every little flash, frame push, etc... has some massive sound effect tied to it! All of a sudden, your nice little package about foie gras now sounds like "Transformers"... It really pulls you out of the story.

When I put in sound effects to go with transitions, I like to keep them relatively low in the mix... if the sound effect is noticeable, it's probably too loud! There is a region between "inaudible" and "completely noticeable", which is where a lot of these SFX belong....

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
http://www.christianglawe.com
Read my blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/111
Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]