FORUMS: list search recent posts

long form stock footage?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Freiband
long form stock footage?
on Jan 15, 2008 at 9:06:10 pm

Anybody have any recommended resources for stock footage that offers clips longer than the typical 20 seconds? I need to composite a stand-up to-camera interview over 'global' scenes, and the content is a minute at least. But most of the scenes I'd like to use can't be looped, since they are things like traffic and people passing in front of recognizable locations. Does anybody offer long-form stock clips?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: long form stock footage?
on Jan 16, 2008 at 5:47:26 pm

Your best bet is to run out and shoot what ya need.
Of course you can slow stuff down and/or find clever ways to loop it but I am finding clients paying by the hour really appriciate somone who can grab whats needed in an hour rather than spending 4 on the clock to create it. I know we aint all shooters but there is one in town near you with nothing to do today. Offer 100 bucks for one shot and you'll have a shot by the end of the day from sombody.
Quciker than fedex. Better than a download.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jan 17, 2008 at 1:44:24 pm

Unless you use Jump Back or other brand animated and looped backgrounds, then use stock footage clips to fly through the background while the talking heads do their thing. I'd tone down the animated background a lot and let clips ease through to unify the subject.

Grinner's idea is also a good one unless you need foreign venues and you can't get those the same day :-)

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del_edits@wtvi.org

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 17, 2008 at 6:08:58 pm

What's your budget?

If your budget is fairly high, try Getty Images or maybe Artbeats. Because Getty is also news agency, the offerings will be more than just landmarks & pretty pictures.

If your budget is low, try RevoStock. Be prepared to spend a lot of time searching for something that's both appropriate & good.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Donald Silverman
on Jan 17, 2008 at 6:34:13 pm

We can provide you with long clips of stock footage. Do you have a shot list?

Donald Silverman
http://www.silvermanstockfootage.com
917-470-9104

Return to posts index

Andrew Freiband
on Jan 20, 2008 at 4:33:19 pm

All good suggestions. I would be the first one on a plane to go and shoot this stuff, but what I need in this case is ~60 seconds of, let's say, Big Ben, locked down, and then ~60 seconds of the pyramids, locked down, and then 60 secs of, lets' say, the Great Wall of China. There's a bunch of them. Not too many budgets going to accommodate that sort of globetrotting. It's a talking head to be placed in front, but without enough distraction to make looping or slowmo feasible. I'm currently working with the few ~20 second clips I've found which can be looped, but it drastically reduces my choices. I'm just surprised there isn't a bigger marketplace for simple scenic clips like this that can be used for composited backgrounds. Revostock is nice, but the longest thing I've found there is about 15 secs (same for Digital Juice, which is what I'm using since I'm crunched and need it now, plus I already own the libraries). Though I'd love to know if Silvermanstock has longer usable clips - if not for this one (deadline looming) then for the next.

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Donald Silverman
on Jan 21, 2008 at 4:49:11 pm

We definitely have long clips of The Great Wall of China. And, we may have long clips of The Pyramids. Our office is closed today. But, if you're still looking for these other :60 lock down shots of famous sites around the world, please provide me with a shot list and I'll be glad to check on what we have tomorrow.

Donald Silverman
http://www.silvermanstockfootage.com
917-470-9104

Return to posts index

Andrew Freiband
on Jan 22, 2008 at 3:32:36 am

Many thanks for the attention. I'll bookmark you and check you next time - these comps are due yesterday, so I'm working with decent loop/reverse looped bkgrds. But you should corner the market on 60 second stock footage, 'cause nobody else seems to have thought about it.

Thanks again for all the help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]