FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playing out to six monitors

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rocco
Playing out to six monitors
on Sep 14, 2007 at 2:21:47 am

We can install two additional video cards so we can play out from a Quad G5 into six monitors.

What we want to do is play out and control six separate videos on each monitor from one computer. We need the kind of frame accuracy you get from Final Cut.

Is there any software that can help me with this this?

THANK YOU!

(also posted in FCP forum)

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
Re: Playing out to six monitors
on Sep 14, 2007 at 1:13:16 pm

While it is possible to get 6 monitors hooked up to a G5 quad, It is entirely another thing to get all 6 monitors playing full frame video, frame accurate. This is exactly the sort of thing my studio does constantly, and I can tell you that a one machine scenario is no go. It's got less to do with the graphics cards than it does with the ability of the SATA (or other) drive bus to deliver the media without any hiccups. After endless experimenting with this situation, in a case where we wanted 6 outputs, driven by Mac, you're best served with one mac per two outputs. Even better is to add an additional for unimpeded control and monitoring. Speaking of which you can jigger the runtime environment in Quartz Composer, or you could also whip this up in MAX/MSP Jitter. Another option would be professional level multi-screen presentation software like Dataton's Watchout or AV Stumpfl's Wings Platinum.

The main thing here is to split the load between multiple machines. Like I said, this is mostly to do with drive bus and Front Side Bus MOBO bandwidth limitations.

Best,

Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Playing out to six monitors
on Sep 14, 2007 at 2:56:08 pm

Two things occur to me:

Build a massive comp in AfterEffects that places all your elements in the respective screen areas and hope somehow the video cards figure out how to show that...

or use one of the specialized machines used in live/stage to multiplex video over multiple screens. Guys in the COW live/stage forum would be the ones to answer that one, it's one of the main things they do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]