FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best book on BIG project organization

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mabron
Best book on BIG project organization
on Jul 26, 2007 at 8:25:29 am

I am starting on a long format doc with over 150 hours of digitzed footage already organized into bins from an assistant. I am looking for a book specific to post production organization techniques. Looking to incorporate better workflows, media management, backing up solutions and overall introduce/refresh me on methodologies to improve the organization of this project before getting started.

I was going to use FCP 4.5 because it has been stable for me on mostly short and medium format, should I upgrade? I would be more comfortable on Avid for this but not in the cards for this gig.

Any help on this would be great.

Kindly,
Matt

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
Re: Best book on BIG project organization
on Jul 27, 2007 at 4:31:00 pm

I'd be interested to know how the assistant organized it for you. Is it a case of just throwing locators at the head of every shot or full transcriptions in the bin's Script view?

Anyway, get this book and look specifically for the "Scene Cards" section. It's only a couple pages, so you might wanna sit in the aisle at Barnes and Noble taking notes.
http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Seen-Walter-Edited-Mountain/dp/0735714266

For Biiiig projects, I'm a devout subclipper. It adds time to the head of the edit, but subtracts significantly more from the middle. Load all the tapes in whole chunks; have myself or the assistant subclip each shot into another bin (named for that tape). Briefly sum-up the shot in bin script view. If you have a producer sitting next to you, they LOVE the quick call-up ability of this manually-created feature.

I'm also Hell's color coder. Set timeline to display "source". Switch to bin text view and color-code each clip - then with colored paper and Post-Its, make the Walter Murch scene cards and stick 'em to the wall. Sometimes up to twenty different colors. This manual process helps you get immediately familiar with your characters; their subject matter; and their corresponding tapes. You can walk fresh into a project, and a week later know as much about it as the producer.

BTW: I blame my neurotic color-coding on the guy that invented these: http://p.office1000.com/mrp/MMXC13UBIC.jpg

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

mabron
on Jul 27, 2007 at 11:19:43 pm

PM,
Thanks for the great advice, this is a biiig project so i will read up on Script Cards...Right now I do not know how the imagry was orgniaized, next week I will get a first chance to see everything..then I will go from there...

Thanks Again

Matt

Return to posts index

grinner
on Jul 29, 2007 at 3:31:47 pm

thats alot of footage to sift through, man.
What I do is catagorize my bins first... talkin heads in one bin... broll in another... broll per topic, ect.
I begin editing by placing all usable delights on the timeline. Somtimes this is 10 times as long as I need it to be but it lets me know exactly what I have to work with. I then go subtractivly though the timeline until I get the conternt cut to time. I then go from the top again with music and other than broll and effects, it's a done deal when done with this pass. I then go from the top again with broll and some transitions. If I had to, I could spit out a short turnaround master at the end of this pass. I then go from the top one more time with added layers of love as time allows.

Return to posts index

Alison Spray
on Aug 3, 2007 at 1:05:04 am

If you decide to organzie a bin per tape - another idea (using text view) is to number each clip before the clip name/description. Be sure to start 01, 02 rather than 1,2. Later, by clicking and selecting the name column, all clips will sort themselves in order on the tape. You can also sort by selecting the start and end timecode coulumns. Clip number shows up in the timeline too which makes it very easy to find exactly which bin/tape the clip is from.

I once worked as an assistant to a long form editor who only named his broll clips/subclips by number. He then would create master broll sequences for each tape or edit them together based on subject, whatever makes sense. Then you load each sequence and using J-K-L keys fast forward through the footage to find what you want. Sounds weird but it really works. You never miss a shot this way. You really get to know all your footage visually. Your eyes learn to find the good stuff rather than relying on remembering how you named it. I've use this technique on big like yours and smaller projects. Good luck, I wish I was sinking my teeth into such a juicy project.....

-AJS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]