FORUMS: list search recent posts

promo for a book

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
promo for a book
on Jun 27, 2007 at 6:27:39 pm

Anyone have a suggestion for promoting a book. This is a book with few pictures. Aside from showing pages, the cover and a picture of the author, which sounds boring to me, has anyone ever made a 30 sec spot for a non-fiction book?

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Tom McNally
Re: promo for a book
on Jun 27, 2007 at 7:09:06 pm

Do a google search for "book trailers" or "book video"
You'll find some examples.
Tom McNally

Return to posts index

mx sara
on Jun 28, 2007 at 11:45:53 am

hi

have you thought of doing some cool ae animated graphic text effects .... with facts and blurb
and james earl jones style [or what ever fits book ] vo

mx

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jun 28, 2007 at 2:31:25 pm

It depends on the subject matter. If about people, show people. If about places, show places. Specific or generic, either way depending on the topic. If it is a book on math, show some of the equations floatinmg around. That kind of thing.

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 28, 2007 at 6:09:27 pm

The closest thing I came to doing something like that was a series of spots that went along with a print campaign (small ad cards inside every CTA city bus) about checking out the latest new books at your local public library. Each ad and spot concentrated on one genre, mystery, horror, money, etc. I didn't have a specific title to promote, what the producer and I came up with were graphic and audio treatments to give the same graphics a different "flavor" for each genre covered. For the suspense/horror version, I remember I poured chocolate syrup onto the top of a white foam core card and recorded that, then layered it in as a luma key with red color and a slight edge shadow to add dimension. So it looks like a normal bunch of graphics on the screen, while the narration gets all scary-sounding, and we throw in organ music and recorded female screams as the fake "blood" runs down the screen... very effective spot for the $5 I spent to make it. Chocolate syrup smells WAY better than paint or ink or theatrical blood, has the right consistency, and cleans up with water, plus, you can teake the rest home and put it on your desserts!
:-)

For your book, whatever it is, you need to find one iconic, totemic type object that people will instantly associate with the title and/or genre or author's name. Then work up your graphic and compositing treatment to play with that. IF you offer up some details, I might suggest a few ideas.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 28, 2007 at 8:04:47 pm

Several good suggestions here already. So, hopefully, here's one more:

IF you have sufficient creative control and the ears of the powers that be, propose using :10's instead of :30's. :10's typically cost 50% of a :30 which, while seemingly unfair to those who count beans, means that you can right away DOUBLE the frequency with which you run the spot.

Of course the other big advantage is that you can come up with a single short and sweet message and not have to artifcially fill :30 seconds. Promoting one media in an entirely different media is tough. Make it easy on yourself any way you can.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 1, 2007 at 1:59:07 am

thanks for the ideas everyone. I like the idea of floating text snippets over a background, rather than just panning the pages themselves.
The theme of the book is Italian cooking for losing weight - I know it sounds crazy. I think I will shoot some food - while the book itself has no pictures of food, I think it will add something interesting to look at.
Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 1, 2007 at 3:07:04 am

You could buy some stock stills of Famous Italian things, and do some 2.5-D animated layering of them, making them "get skinny" with warps, morphs or DVE moves, while the VO talks about the weight loss ideas.

You can do the same with pictures of food items mentioned in the text, like fat round ripe tomatoes turning into Ferrari-red sensual shapes, or whatever your imagination can suggest.

I'm a fan of that style of collage that creates a "cut paper" look, with the cut pieces being bits of photographs of other kinds of objects to derive the textures. Cosby's kid show "Little Bill" was a terrific example of this on the relatively realistic-looking side... another kid show that's really popular has characters of a guinea pig, duck, and turtle that sneak out of the house on secret advantures, and this show, whatever it's called, goes crazy with the photo textures being usd to illustrate other things. It's really quite inventive graphically.

You could create a romantic couple, Mr. Basil and Ms. Oregano, made up of food textures, and they can converse using buzzwords from the book or something like that.

Return to posts index

Tae
by
on Jul 10, 2007 at 8:38:43 pm

A friend of mine cut a trailer for his children's book.

Hope it helps.

Return to posts index

Jacki in Atlanta
on Aug 10, 2007 at 9:43:37 pm

First image that came to mind was the author reading some of their work either in an environmental setting, or with imagery while they read. But those images were before I read your subject. This might not be appropriate for that.

Probably have the author talk about the results the book will give you and what it will do for your life, vaguely teasing about how this diet/lifestyle/recipes work but not giving it all away, of course.

What did you end up doing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]