FORUMS: list search recent posts

how does everyone keep their projects organized?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Mitchell
how does everyone keep their projects organized?
on Apr 14, 2007 at 12:55:23 am

this seemed to be the closest forum to post this in..

i've been doing many videos at the same time, and i am trying to figure out how to simplify my organization. what kind of solution has everyone come up with to organize a project? i am talking from start to finish...

i have begun using google calendar to keep track of my shoots (with the ideas and pertinent information in the description) and when projects are due, and i really think there must be a better way.
also, do you all archive past projects, like the original tapes and files for possible future use?

Return to posts index

grinner
Re: how does everyone keep their projects organized?
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:02:52 pm

I just use my schedule book. I have tried everything form software to a hanging grid with dates on it but in the end, I have always just come back to my good ole schedule book. It's the easiest thing for me. If booked by day, I can schedule a night gig. Once double booked for that day, I have to say no (if it HAS to be that day). I am very seldom booked more than two weeks out so there isn't much to try to remember.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Apr 16, 2007 at 8:26:55 pm

I don't know how large your organization is, but you might want to check out Scheduall. (http://www.schedulall.com) Their scheduling software is top of the line.

For years, we just used a "shared" Microsoft Excel spreadsheet calendar. Office 2003 will notify users if the "spreadsheet calender" has been updated by other users, or you can set permissions where only certain people can update the calender while others can still read it. It's not too elegant, but it's inexpensive and it generally works well.

If you have a small shop and are already using Outlook, you can have multiple calendars that will display side-by side (for instance for multiple edit suites).

I've also used the calendars within Microsoft Project. Project is extremely powerful, but it was too bulky for us to quickly teach everyone how to use it.

I personally think that it won't be too long before the features of shared Google calendars will put the Microsoft solutions to shame.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Santino
on Sep 24, 2007 at 5:35:25 pm

Have you looked at Crews Director? (I will admit I am biased towards it because I am the President of the company). Crews Director is an online scheduling service for the entertainment industry. Production companies, vendors and freelancers can manage production schedules, book shoots, update calendars, view projects and connect with other professionals. Freelancers can keep their availability online and companies can quickly book them online. Since it is web based your schedule is at any computer PC or Mac with internet. You can go to http://www.crewsdirector.com for more details.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]