mono or stereo

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rap
mono or stereo
by
on Mar 25, 2007 at 5:09:21 pm

hey guys
I'm working on a film that part of it talks about music band and has some of their music, now the whole film was shot on sony HDV and on one track, the live shows also were recorded on one track
part of the film which is only few tracks, i have from a CD and when i sent the project to the sound designer he returned it to me as mono track, he said that most of the film is mono and so i would sound range to here stereo only two track of the film and I would like to know your opinion about that
should I ask him to give it to me stereo or shall i just leave it as it is

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
Re: mono or stereo
on Mar 26, 2007 at 3:08:50 pm

I suggest that you treat all of your mono as stereo so that it comes out both speakers. That way the music itself will sound much better in the original stereo. That is easy in my NLE, so I assume that it is easy in whatever you might use. Otherwise use another application to do the job and then reimport it.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 26, 2007 at 5:03:09 pm

[Steven L. Gotz] " suggest that you treat all of your mono as stereo so that it comes out both speakers."

That is what I do. I create everything as tho it was stereo even if it is mono. I agree totally with Steven.

Charlie

Return to posts index

person
on Mar 27, 2007 at 2:23:45 am

Sound designers design sound. This person is more likely a mixer. If it is mono, then it is mono. You could put the mono track on both left and right (1&2) channels and technically call it stereo, though it is really mono. You might need to give us more information.

Editor

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
on Mar 27, 2007 at 4:26:12 pm

I agree....

I think step 1 would be to save all your mono tracks to stereo.

Step two would be to make sure all the new tracks you acquire (or replace) are stereo.

You can sit there and listen to mono tracks (via) two speakers and it can sound pretty good... but compare that to a true stereo version of the same cut and you'll really say "Oh, wow," especially if you can compare them back-to-back. Even if there aren't any real discernable left-channel or right-channel instruments, stero tracks will have a much fuller, richer, more open sound.

Since you are talking about music in the film, I think it would definitely be a disservice NOT to use stereo tracks whenever possible.

T2

Return to posts index

grinner
on Mar 29, 2007 at 9:40:24 pm

I'd keep it all stereo.
Mixing stereo music with mono music will be a bummer. He's right as far as not mixing them, he just went the wrong way. The only time I ever do anything in mono is when somone needs a splat track. Outside of that, I pan all mono tracks to the middle (unless going for effect like a quazi surround sound).

Return to posts index

ben
by
on Apr 25, 2007 at 7:30:52 pm

sometimes it helps to lower one of your "mono-stereo" tracks a little bit, it kinda makes it sound like stereo, sorta.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]