FORUMS: list search recent posts

CRT vs. LCD

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rap
CRT vs. LCD
by
on Feb 20, 2007 at 6:52:06 pm

Please allow me to bring this once again, but I need to understand this once and for all
why CRT monitor are better than LCD monitors for editing?

I got 2 CRT monitors, and I set them to the highest resolution which is 1600x1200 75HZ,
the problem is that everything is so small!!!!

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: CRT vs. LCD
on Feb 20, 2007 at 7:07:58 pm

OK here is my 2 cents. I prefer LCD because of size. The reasons many talk about prefering CRT is colorimitry and aspect ratios. Well, I don't use my editing monitors for seeing the video quality anyhow. I have an NTSC monitor for that. I don't watch my video on the editing monitor as much as I watch it on the NTSC monitor. As I have said before I don't even use the NTSC monitor for color or video levels, I use my scopes for that. I am an old linear editor by heart and experience. I started in black and white live so I have been through a lot of changes and still use many of the old techniques. Is that good, who knows, but it certainly works for me.

OK guys tell me where I am wrong?

Charlie

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Feb 21, 2007 at 11:53:14 am

Charlie, you are not wrong. I use my NTSC to see my video and gt a feel for it. I use my scopes to make sure everything looks good and stays legal. I use my PC monitors for adjusting controls and the likes.

Whilst I have only been in this business 14 years, I was fortunate to start editing on tape. This invaluable experience that has helped my career. It helped me learn the basics and understand the fundementals of the television signal, something that is all too often forgotten.

Mark

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Feb 21, 2007 at 6:31:17 pm

I think the main issue is actually when you are using the monitor for viewing your video full screen, such as in the case of Hi definition where even the highest-end CRT which has impeccable colorimetry can't show all the resolution of HD. keep in mind this is a separate issue form whether you are viewing RGB, or Y'CrCb (digital) or Y'PrPb (analog) which are different color scaling schemes. You can use the second head on most display cards to output video fullscreen, but that output will be RGB unless you have a card like the Matrox parhelia APVe or the PNY Quadro FX series cards with the capacity for analog component Y'PrPb out instead of VGA or DVI.

I just made a comment on LCDs on the HiDef forum...with CRTs on the way out-fast, and LCDs not quite up to the job of filling their shoes yet color gamut-wise, a good set of test displays (waveform/vectorscope) will probably be the only real image "truth" available for a while...

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Feb 21, 2007 at 9:55:37 pm

[Tim Kolb] "a good set of test displays (waveform/vectorscope) will probably be the only real image "truth" available for a while..."

As I keep stating, and I don't think it can be overstated. I never use the monitors for color or levels. I always use my scopes. I think with me it is many years of broadcast TV that is behind my reliance on scopes.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Feb 22, 2007 at 6:46:05 pm

[Charlie King] "I never use the monitors for color or levels. I always use my scopes. I think with me it is many years of broadcast TV that is behind my reliance on scopes."

No question that that is the best way, Charlie...but for many, the price of digital, HD-capable scopes is pretty high...

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

rap
by
on Feb 23, 2007 at 10:06:19 am

hey guys, I understand how important it is to work with a vectorscope, and I respect all what you have said here, but.... comon, for working on editing a project, not on-lining it, why would I invest in a vectorscope that would coast of $4000 and $11000 ?!!!
I feel unprofessional now to say that, but I was wondering, is having a vectorscope in an editing suite is just like having the computer and the software? is it that essential to offline editing?

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Feb 23, 2007 at 8:15:35 pm

If you are offlining, never needing to worry about playback on a broadcast or TV set, or for that matter any playback device that feeds a digital signage system, then you are not really concerned about video or chroma levels.

Charlie

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Feb 26, 2007 at 7:04:15 pm

It was not meant to make you feel bad...Sorry if it did :-)

As Charlie said, for offline, then you should not be needing colour correction tools and legalization of levels. Your online editor should be taking care of this. This brings up an interseting point though, your choice of monitors. I would be more inclined to shop by price and comfort of your eyes to the screen...Since you will be offlining, true color reproduction is not all that important to you.
My .02

Mark

Return to posts index

grinner
on Mar 14, 2007 at 3:55:28 am

I just had to pay someone to haul off two bigass CRT monitors.
whats the world comin to?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]