FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio editing tips

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr_gfx
audio editing tips
on Jan 24, 2007 at 3:07:05 am

hi,
i know nothing about creating a good audio mix in avid. i just learned about cutting out the frequency in the music bed that the VO is hovering at. and it really turned my muddy audio tracks into a clearer sound.

can someone help me find some books or online soureces that teach these types of audio finishing tips. i want to master my craft.

thanks

Return to posts index

person
Re: audio editing tips
on Jan 25, 2007 at 5:54:44 pm

create an OMFI 2 file, layout to a tape, and give it to an audio professional (sound designer and/or mixer). they are worth every penny. you just keep focus on the picture and sound editing.

Editor

Return to posts index

Red Ochre
on Jan 26, 2007 at 5:18:22 am

Hi,

Avid's not so good for audio finishing (that's why avid owns protools). outside of EQ and a handfull of basic effects such as gain and reverb you don't have alot.

If you do get someone pro to help with the audio, ask them wether OMF 1 or 2 is ok. I've had problems delivering OMF 2 to protools users and OMF 1 works everytime.

Hopefully someone will have more info for you.

Return to posts index

grinner
on Jan 26, 2007 at 7:45:15 am

I lost hearing in my left ear a few years ago. A huge handicap in the edit suite for quite some time, I must admit. Now, irritating as it can be in daily life, I now consider it a strength when mixing. I learned to "feel the music" and not just the music. I call it using the force. Proly not the scientific factual response you were hoping for but the force has created much better mixes from my suite than my repititios habbits use to. Granted I have one monitor aimed at my head 2 feet away and the other aimed at the room now, but I kind of look at it as a great vantage point.. a different one anyway. When I was a staffer at TNN, we use to mix away in the suite then, when doing the final mix, (audio dude was in another room shared by a window and a PA) we ran it straght through a 20: Magnavox television. The client's monitor. Mono as all get up, tinny as heck and a perfect way to get accurate levels between music and VOs, sweels and vallies.
As far as finding your exact freguency to delete, you'll have to reach beyond Avid. There isn't a science, in my opinion, to mixing. Ya just make it sound perty. I've not had a problem doing it all within Avid and have not come accross any frequency battling between tunage and talkage. It's always just been a matter of eq and level per track.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Jan 28, 2007 at 5:33:02 pm

I recommend the book "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" by Jay Rose. To paraphrase a few tips from the section on audio mixing:

* If you can afford to take a break before your final mixing starts, do it. Give your ears an overnight rest (or at least take a lunch break, or a short walk). Starting with "fresh ears" will save you time in the long run and it will result in a better mix.

* Images can distract you. Listen to the final mix at least once with your eyes closed.

*Video mixing is not a subtle medium. If a sound effect or music cue sounds best when it's barely heard, try turning it off entirely.

* Boosting the midrange, particularly around 1,200 Hz to 2,500 Hz, tends to bring voices forward. Cutting those frequencies from the music will leave more room for dialog. Mid-low frequencies, between 100Hz and 250 Hz can add warmth and intimacy to a voice.

* Be careful about too many low frequencies, they might add muddiness to your overall sound.

* When two tracks are mixed together, the result will usually be slightly louder than either one of them. Make sure you use a properly calibrated digital audio meter so you can catch any level problems that could cause distortion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]